Friday, January 13, 2006

The Next Step?

One of my long-term goals is to do Ultraman in Kona. What I've been doing the past 5 years has been training and testing to understand if I'm capable of doing it. I've always known that if I want something badly enough, then I will go after it. But I also believe in setting reasonable goals, and I always like to have checkpoints along the way towards anything significant. So I've got some Ironman goals for 2006. I had been starting to think it was time to try a 50K and then 50-mile race.

Developing the bike endurance for Ultraman doesn't concern me so much--it's just a matter of training time.

Developing the swim endurance and speed for a 10K swim concerns me; mostly due to the amount of time I would need to spend training; but having significant training time will be a matter of choice.

What has concerned me the most, though, has been the double marathon on Day 3. I'm not that fast of a runner, but I do seem to have quite a bit of endurance for it. But getting through 39.3 miles of running this weekend (mostly on pavement) convinced me that 56.4 miles is very doable.

So I think it was an omen that the night before I left for Disney that I watched a program about Western States 100. Granted, I don't *need* to have 100-mile endurance for Ultraman, but it couldn't hurt, could it?

So yesterday, for some reason, I went and looked at the WS100 website, and I came upon something interesting--they have a lottery to get in for 2007. All you have to do is send in some money (which if you don't get a spot, goes to a worthy place), and then they draw some names, and if you get in--bingo! All you need to do is run a qualifying 50-miler and then away you go. I'm not big on lack-of-sleep events, but I think I can manage a day and a half without sleep.

So here I am writing a check for the WS100 lottery, and God help me if I get in! I already have a couple of pacers lined up, and I'll need more and I'll need a crew, but those are details right now.

I figure I could still get in an Ironman race later in 2007, and then I suppose it would be time to work on that 10K swim!

I find it fascinating how life presents you with the things you need to do just at the right times! When I first registered for Goofy Challenge, I didn't really consider it a stepping stone towards Ultraman, but now I recognize that the universe was telling me something. And then having completed Goofy, I'm being prepared for the next step.

Life is good!

4 comments:

Brett said...

I'd crew for you. I wouldn't know what I was doing, but that's beside the point!

Oldman said...

have you thot about the Candian Death Race?

Crackhead said...

Crewing: have food and drinks ready, convince me to keep going, help me get medical attention when I need it, be there and cheer, and have fun with the other crew members. Easy!

Canadian Death Race: Yes, I've heard of that, and maybe someday, but for now I'll stick with 50-milers and maybe a 100, and WS100 is a good one. At least it's usually warm!

Brett said...

Count me in then.