Friday, March 24, 2006

Today is a Great Day: GAME ON

It is always great when good things happen, isn't it? As much as life can suck sometimes, there are always beautiful people that do wonderful things that make every day worth it.

The photo is care of Brett, who I clued in on a Dean Karnazes talk near where he works. I asked Brett to get anything signed by him for me, and look what he did! It's Brett's copy of Dean's book, so I guess I owe Brett my copy. It made me cry when I saw this picture just a few minutes ago. Brett is good people in my book, and I am fortunate to have made his acquaintance.

You can like Dean or think he's nuts. I can relate to the man. He is doing something he loves "just because." OK, so maybe he's making a little money off of it by writing books now, but hey, being part of society sort of requires you make some cash, and if you can do it in the course of pursuing a passion, even better. If his body can tolerate that much running, great for him. If mine could, I would do it, but I know it can't, so I will stick with triathlon for now. I love reading books written by ultrarunners because I can relate to the many of them who have found that special solace that they reach when running. I am happy that I can experience that solace while swimming and biking, too, and while I'm stretching, and even while I am writing this right now.

I did a 3,600 yard swim workout this morning. My 300 times were off, but the 100's, 50's and 25's were pretty good. Check out this workout:
WU: 200 swim, 200 pull, 200 kick, 4 x 50 (10") Swim Golf
MS: 5 x 300 (20") negative split. 100 easy swim.
5 x 100 (10"), descend 1-5. 100 Easy.
6 x 50 (10"), descend 1-3, 4-6. 100 Easy.
4 x 25 sprint with 30 secs rest
CD: 100 easy swim

My lungs were acting up a little bit--some phlegm coming up when I didn't want it--and my stomach was still not normal. Last night I woke up at 10:30 (I had gone to sleep at 8:15--guess I was a little tired from my 2nd long run in 4 days) and my stomach was hurting. I guess chile for dinner was not such a good idea after having had a big bowl of pasta with marinara sauce at lunch (to recover from my run), although I finished it around 7:00PM, so it was odd that I was having a reaction. When I experience stomach issues, it usually means I'm under stress. HELLOOOOOO.... Anyway, I got out of bed and took a swig of Pepto Bismol, thinking that would calm things down. I got back in bed and my stomach began doing flip-flops. I tried to ignore it, but after laying there for about 10 minutes, I figured I was going to puke, so I got up, and well, I did. I guess the Pepto accomplished something, huh? Turns out there wasn't much in my stomach, but whatever was there came out in spectacular projectile fashion. Shit happens! I drank a big glass of water and was able to get back to sleep. When I smelled the coffee this morning, I got out of bed to pee and think about getting up, but it felt like someone had twisted up my brain and stomach and was in there with a vise grip on me. So I went back to bed, put a pillow over my head (to block out the rising sun), and tried to sleep some more. I think I dozed off for maybe 10', but then I figured, hey let's get up.

Coffee tasted good and didn't seem to have any additional effect on my stomach, but I took it easy on eating anything. I had planned on swimming, and checked my email and saw my coach had posted me up some workouts. So I go look for today's stuff, and happy, happy, 3,600 yards, let's go, baby! Since I got out of bed late, I wouldn't be able to stretch first since I'd need to be in the pool as quickly as possible so I could get the workout in before they shut down the lap lanes for the Aquacise class. I briefly considered swimming at lunchtime, since Rich didn't schedule a run for me today (but I may still do one later if I feel like it), but figured it would be less crowded this morning, and hey, I'm awake, so I may as well get it done.

Back to that swim workout. Despite my stomach and phlegm issues, I had absolutely no endurance issues, and why would I? 2 mile swims just don't really phase me anymore. I like knowing that the Ironman swim is only 600 more yards than what I swam today, so my endurance is all set. I guess a few years of averaging 9,000-11,000 yards a week will do that to a person :). As I was swimming the pitiful 300's, I was trying to figure out why I was so slow. The water was nice and cool today. My last workout was 24 hours ago. But I guess my legs were still a bit tired, and kicking takes a lot of oxygen and my lungs felt slightly compromised, so oh well. I did the last 2 300's with the pull buoy and that confirmed my tired legs hypothesis. Whatever. Mostly I am happy that the workout didn't feel like some killer thing to me. Well, I DID swim 3,300 on Monday, so what's 300 more yards anyway?

You know you are close to an Ironman race when:
- your Friday swim workout is >3,500 yards. Hell, I even see one on my schedule that isn't a race rehearsal swim of 4,400 yards. Woo-hoo!
- there is a note on a long bike workout that says "OK to shorten this if you like."
- you become concerned that you aren't keeping up with your calorie intake needs
- you cry when someone emails you a picture of a book (thanks, Brett)
- you cry when someone mails you a picture of Natasha Badmann (thanks, Shelley)
- you pretty much will cry about anything. OK, so all this crying is a girl thing, guys. What do men do this close to an Ironman? I am curious.
- you decide it's time to stop raising your hand at work for "extra projects."
- you learn to keep your mouth shut when someone punches your buttons because you know you could go off like a firecracker
- you know that the remaining training is going to start to feel like work, but that's as it should be. Riding very focused for 4+ hours at a time is work. Swimming 3,500 yards+ is work. Running for 2+ hours is work. Keeping up with all your bottles and laundry is work.

It's that time, kids. Time to get down to Ironman training. What I've been doing so far has been "getting ready to do this training I am starting now." Here come double long rides on the weekends, plenty of running and swimming. I am so excited about this build phase, because this is the most fit I have ever been in my life. Now I just need to keep up the good work I've been doing in addition to the workouts--stretching, mental work, nutrition, sleep, avoiding any stress that I can. I am reminded of the beginning of the song, The Sound of Silence, when I get to this point:

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I’ve come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

After I finished swimming this morning, I saw a fit-looking woman getting ready for what I guessed was a spin class. So I struck up a conversation with her (I am naked at this point--as you all know I have no shame). I asked if she was heading to spin class, and she said yeah, that she had reserved her bike because the classes are so popular. I replied that I did my bike training on my own bike at home. She asked if I am a triathlete, commenting that she immediately figured I was at least a runner, probably a triathlete. I said yeah. She asked me what was my racing distance. I said Ironman. She said it figured from how lean and muscular I am. Then she said she bet it was hard for me to keep up with my calorie needs. I told her she is very wise! Turns out she has a Masters degree in exercise physiology. So we had a nice conversation. How nice to meet someone like that--I really hope I run into her again. Looks like a possibility now that I'll be doing 1:15-1:30 swim workouts on Fridays!

It snowed here last night, and won't be warm enough for me to get outside on my bike this weekend. But it's GAME ON now, and I've got work to do.

3 comments:

TriZilla said...

OH, you sound, good, good, good.

I love this intensity I hear. Although I don't have the swimming and biking intensity right now, I can relate. And, you know what? The harder the better.

Sleep more, eat better (and more). Just good general self-care.

I have that book. I flew through it. The part about the chunks on the dashboard was the best. ;)

Cliff said...

I am sorry to hear about your mom's situation, Sheila. I will keep her in my paryers.

Yes, unfortunately we have to make a living in this society. It is a rariety to have someone doing what he/she loves and make money at the same time. Most ppl seem to caught up in the bling of the job.

Comm's said...

awesome, get it done post. I am very motivated by what you write.