Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ironman Brazil 2006 Short Story

Folks, I was sick. Not race sick--"sick" sick. I caught some virus on Thursday before the race, was miserable when I started, dizzy all day (which is a lot of fun on the bike), sore throat, congested sinuses, headache, blah, blah, blah. But you are probably thinking, "Hey, she should be able to deal." My energy was sapped, and although I made it through the bike, my run ended up being a death march. But, that was still my 2nd fastest Ironman overall, so what that tells me is that I do have a sub-13 in me, and I will be going to Ironman Florida to prove it.

Oh yeah--I also have a very black and blue nose (luckily not broken) from being kicked smack in the bridge of my nose during the swim (after which a contact lens popped into the goggles, and that was the start of my first long transition time), I was stung by numerous jellyfish, and drank way too much on Monday evening, and I'm working on no sleep for 2 days. So at least I've got that going for me!

The 2 things that kept me moving towards the finish line were that I had promised my mom that I would finish, and then at some point I remembered you get a medal, and I wanted one!

Full report to follow, but in the meantime:

BADA BING! (Actually, para bens, which means "congratulations" in Portuguese)

9 comments:

Bolder said...

soon as i saw your time, i said 'Sheila wasn't healthy'.

you are handling it well, showing us the Ironman veteran that you are.

on the bright side, we now get you with us in Florida -- it's a fast course, there are no Brazilian cabana boys to make out with pre-race and catch something, and you will PR there along with the rest of us.

looking forward to seeing you there.

TriDaddy said...

Tremendous effort! Congrats!

TriZilla said...

Good Gracious, woman. Could anything else have gone wrong? You stuck it out, and that's HUGE. FL will be your B!tch. Yup, yup.

Congrats on still making your second fastest IM time, especially given those circumstances. They should have given you two medals. Glad you're back. You were missed.

Tammy said...

OMG... thanks for scaring the crap out of me right before my first tri. Kicked in the face, AND lost a contact lense... my two biggest concerns.

Nice finish! You are made of IRON! :))

Steven said...

Still nicely done, Sheila.
You gave it a hell of an effort for being less then 100%. Starting an IM at less then 100% would be scary.
Congrats on toughing it out!

Go get 'em Florida.

Cliff said...

I can't wait till the long report....that was a lot of crap you got in the IM..good stuff on finishing

Habeela said...

Sick?! Way to power through! That truly does make you an Ironwoman!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Sheila,

What a display of couage. Tell me more.

Stay tuned...

Brett said...

Wow. Knowing how big of a baby I am when I'm sick, I probably would have bailed. Way to gut it out! You'll be back!