Thursday, June 15, 2006

Anniversary, Wonderful People, Rambling

When I registered for the Naperville Women's Sprint Triathlon (on 6/25), the registration form asked how many triathlons I have done. I guessed 45, but this morning I added them up, and it's 50! Ironman Brazil was #50. That was some way to celebrate a milestone! And this year I turn 50 in October!

Yesterday while swimming, someone I know at the Y (because we tend to swim at the same time of day) told me she thinks someone should throw me a huge party because I am so inspirational. Did I get choked up or what? I am just doing things that I like to do and seeing where they take me. This same woman told me a week ago after I told her all the things I faced in Ironman Brazil that I am like Michael Jordan--I guess a reference to a few games he played while really under the weather. I don't go around bragging to people about what I do, but there are a few at my Y who I chat with regularly and let them know what's up. I've decided I need to ask this woman if she'd like to have lunch or something together. She's the sweetest thing, and I can remember maybe 2-3 years ago that I had a slight "to do" with her at the pool, but truly we have mutual respect for one another. She is not that great of a swimmer (well, neither am I), but she's there doing it, and so I give her credit. Once or twice I've given her small bits of advice on her swimming, and she has really improved.

I literally ran into the director of the Y on my way home from a short run on Monday. She asked about my race and I told her about it and I began to cry when I mentioned that my mom had passed away just a month before the race. I was absolutely un-self-conscious crying on the sidewalk. She then told me the Y was going to put up a board with stories about athletes who belong there, and told me I should write something. I think it was my idea to do this--I spent about :30 one day chatting with someone at the front desk about how there are some really good athletes (truly, I wasn't asking for my own name in lights) that work out at the Y, and there should be a board where people can post stuff about their training and racing or whatever. There are a lot of college students who run track, swim, etc., and also a fair number of adults who do various things. It's always fun to know who's in your back yard!

Today, I received an email from someone I can't really say that I know that I'm not sure how she found my blog, but the purpose of the email was to give me a hug! Man, I needed that! I am still grieving for my mom and experiencing a bit of an internal struggle in seeking to gain more self-awareness, but there's never a bad time for a virtual hug!

This morning I dropped my car off for a brake job and ran home. It was a short, :25 run, and I totally enjoyed it. Running as transportation. Later I will probably ride my bike to pick up my car. It's high summer, and while I loathe swimming in an indoor pool, running and biking outdoors are truly joyous occasions. It is feeling less like "work" and more like "fun" every day that it's nice outside. What a contrast from all the time I spent this winter and spring riding on the trainer or riding outdoors in crappy weather, and running on the treadmill. I really believe I experience Seasonal Affective Disorder. My mood is much better the more time I spend outdoors.

Oh well, I'll be outdoors for a LONG time on Saturday, and it's going to be HOT, HOT, HOT! 125 miles worth of heat! But you know what? It will be FUN!

9 comments:

Cliff said...

Double century...sweet :)

Steven said...

50!! Holy cow. Congrats on doing 50! tri's. That is amazing.

Oh yea, congrats on reaching 50 years, too. You're not much like other 50 year old women.

Enjoy it.

Julie B said...

When someone says you are inspiration to your face, does that kind of suprise you, like "who me?" I feel the same way. I think part of the reason that I have my blog out there is to show others 'you can do this to..if you really want to'! 50 races; that is incredible. What a great way to celebrate the big 50: Ironman Brazil. Yeah.

Brett said...

I'll give you a virtual hug anytime! I hope you have a good ride ... Climb fast, take chances!

Crackhead said...

Julie--yes, I always feel like "who me?" when someone says I'm inspirational. Because to me, the really inspirational ones are those with real disabilities who are able to live a good, honest, fulfilled life. Me, OTOH, I have no complaints except those intrusive thoughts that I sometimes can't escape!

I've done 50 tris--but I've also done another 53 open running races. I know that's nothing compared to some people who have been doing this for many, many years. This represents 8.5 years of endurance training. Maybe I should retire?

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

50? Um, yeah - I'd say that's pretty inspirational.

Just look around you at all the other 50 year olds and ask yourself: does this butt look 50? I don't think so.

From a random blogger-byer, I'm here to tell you, you look great!

Habeela said...

You deserve to have your own billboard for 50 tris! That's outstanding. And you DEFINITELY are inspirational.

Fe-lady said...

Yeah for number 50! If I am not careful you will reach 100 way before I do! (Not that I am chalking up races or anything...they just happen, like yours do!)
Have fun on the bike ride/race!
I helped a woman swim at my pool a couple of days ago...she was very thankful that I took the time to give her a couple tips...made me feel good.
Usually people are non-responsive when I tell them what I do/what I have done. Maybe it's an "out west" thing...

greyhound said...

I just started this, and I'm going to do it until they plant me, but I'll never reach 50 races. That's incredible.

HEY, I just had a great idea. Your Y needs to translate its bulletin board about the athletes to a blog or website and put the link in their e-mail updates to the members.