Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Another Fantastic Workout




But first, some pictures. That's me in the first photo, and my friend and 2007 Triple T teammate, Cindy in the second. Are we ripped or what? I am so motivated to train hard and improve with sheer hard work between now and next May, although I will take a small break after Miami Man in November.

Today I swam 2650 before I started work, and the swim went well. Then I did :30 of abs/core, and it was nice to do them again, since I skipped it last week. And the grand finale was another run workout with 5K intervals. I don't think I've talked about these, but I've been doing them for 5 weeks now, since I officially declared no more Ironman races in 2006. But my intention is to keep solid 1/2 Ironman fitness all around, and in actuality, I think I could reel off a decent Ironman if I really wanted to. But for right now, it's a lot more fun to become a bike monster (and I really think I'm on my way), and what the hell, perk up my running. I saw nice improvements in my running from last winter's run focus and Goofy Challenge, and I have a golden opportunity to build on that now when I am running a little less, but with a little more speed for a few months. Probably in mid-September I will pick up the run volume more, to be better prepared for Miami Man, and then do a build for Goofy Challenge '07.

Anyway, here's the workout:

WU: 10' Easy, 6 x Strides, 5' Steady with excellent form MS: 6', 8', 8', 6', 4' @ 5k pace with 1' Steady between each. CD; 10' Steady

This is week 5 of a number of variations on this theme. The first time I got the workout, the main set was 2/4/6/8/6/4/2, and I about died doing it. The next week (4 days before Racine 1/2 Ironman), the intervals were 4/6/10/6/4, and I was running 8:15-8:20 on the intervals. The following week was 4/6/10/6/4 again, and I smartly did the workout at a flat area, but it was 95 outside, and I wasn't too sure of my pace, but it probably was more like 8:25-8:30. Last week was 4/6/10/6/4 again, only I did it on an indoor track (BLESSED COOLNESS), and presto, I was running 8:00/mile!

For today's variation, it was "only" 80 outside, and I felt like I could handle doing the workout on my rolling hill route from home. I know where the mile marks are and I am also pretty familiar with 1/4 and 1/2 mile marks, so I should be able to calculate my approximate pace. I was pretty happy that I nailed 8:00/mile outside in the hills today! I am not saying it wasn't tough--there is this one mile that is just rollers going up and it sucks and it's part of a 5- and 10-mile race here every May (that I have never done but should sometime) that racers who do it absolutely hate because it is pretty damn hard. Well I did that entire mile in maybe 8:20, which included my 8' at 5K pace, and that was my slowest interval.

Not bad considering the workout I did yesterday and that it was my third workout of the day. I think eating pasta last night helped, and I am doing it again tonight since I need to run 1:45 in the morning tomorrow.

This is one workout where I am not smiling so much when I am doing the 5K intervals, but I sure smile when I'm finished! I love the intensity level that I am able to train at now, and each new challenge my coach throws at me is exciting, especially since I track my workouts so carefully and can see my progress in just a few weeks' time.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a sub-8:00/mile pace in me for a 5K in 2007. Wouldn't that just be the shits? Whatever, as long as I keep seeing improvements, I'm one happy camper.

No comments: