Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How to Shell Yourself, Part Two

The saga continues....

After a great run on Sunday, yesterday I thought I'd be fine since I took a day off from work. I felt tired, but not wasted, so around noon I decided to lift weights. Last week I did 2 sets of 12 reps, and this week I was scheduled to add another set, and so I did. The effort didn't feel bad, it just felt like a looooong workout, taking about 1:10. If you recall, I have all the weight equipment in my house, to I don't have to wait for someone to vacate machines or free weights or anything. In 1:07, I did 3 sets of 12 reps each of the following:
  • 4 triceps exercises
  • 4 pecs exercises
  • 11 delts exercises
  • 5 biceps exercises
  • 4 lats exercises
  • 10 leg exercises
  • 16 abs/core/PT exercises (only 2 sets of 15 reps of these)

I think it would take me a lot longer to do all of that at a gym.

I felt tired after the workout, but I expected that. At 4:30 I headed to the Y to run. While I didn't really feel like running, I didn't want to not run until Wednesday, so I thought I'd see what I could do.

Clearly my legs were a bit toasted, so I dialed down the treadmill speed to what I would have done like 2 years ago! Easy, easy, easy. I had scheduled myself for :50, but decided to cut off :05, and I was still able to end the session with some strides. I followed up with some stretching, and didn't feel any worse for the wear, figuring a good night of sleep would fix me right up.

WRONG! I slept 10 hours last night, and I feel shelled today. I was going to swim in the morning, but wisely opted to sleep in, and even with all that sleep, I feel pretty fried. So probably no bike workout today either. Guess I didn't just need a day off from work--I needed a day off from workouts, too.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Sheila,

I have a question and I am not sure if u answer this already. I know that you enjoy working out. But are the exercises you are doing more for the enjoyment or training focus (ie. injury prevention).

Is there are a specific body parts you are concentrating on right now? Working on any muscle imbalance? Lastly, what kind of leg exercise do you do?

Thanks.

Crackhead said...

Hi, CT.

You are anonymous, so I'm answering you here.

The reasons I do strength training are many:
- I have no ACL in my left leg, so I do special stabilization exercises, and general quad work seems to work, too.
- I've had PFS, ITBS and piriformis syndrome, and some of the things I do seem to help keep that in check. Or maybe it's stretching. Who knows?
- I'm a woman, and we have more trouble maintaining our lean mass. I like lean mass, so I keep on strength training!
- It seems to help me from a "toughness" perspective, in other words, I "seem" to feel stronger in the endurance stuff by keeping up weights.

I do follow a periodized program loosely based on a PNF/Mark Allen program that is ages old. But I added stuff I got from PT's, exercise physiologists, and studying up on core strength.

The leg exercises I do are:
- Dirty 30's. Actually 3 exercises, all forms of wall squats on a raised platform. Focus on hip flexors and knee stability.
- Wall squats with stability ball (more for knee stability than quad strength)
- Unilateral Calf raises
- Leg extensions
- Unilateral standing leg curl
- Cable abductor
- Cable adductor
- Cable glute kick backs

Trevor Oseen said...

Wow, you finished that in 1:07! My 3 seperate weight training days accumulate to 2 hours 40 minutes at the gym. Looks like I need to invest...

TO