Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thank You, Slow Guy

Today I got to do my track workout. I skipped yesterday's bike ride because I woke up too early again and couldn't fall back asleep, but I slept well last night, so I'm getting there on my sleeping.

The track workout includes easy running, strides and a mix of 10K and 5K intervals. I was on my 3rd of 3 sets of the 10K/5K stuff when new runner guy shows up to the track. I had a few minutes of walking time, so I, of course, scoped him out. He didn't appear to be running too fast, but maybe enough to help me out with my next repeat.

So I'm running next to this guy and we're talking, and I'm supposed to be at 10K pace, but I'm running faster than I thought. Anyway, we are chatting (guess I can run faster if I can talk at 10K pace, huh?) and this guy has only run 4.5 miles at the most ever. He's doing a 5K race soon, and he tells me he is going to win the 40+ age group! I tell him he had better run faster if he thinks that (after he already told me this is as fast as he can go), and he says it's for charity so "real runners" won't show up, and I tell him yes they will, because we like to win stuff! Anyway, I'm hanging with him easily on my 6' at 10K pace, and then I gracefully tell him I need to pick it up (I needed to accelerate to 5K pace for 2'). Eat my dust, slow man!

But I must thank him, because all I needed was a slight challenge, and it got me running faster than I had in awhile; in fact I think I may have actually become slightly faster! I ran the 10K pace at 8:00/mile (I believe my 10K pace to be more like 8:10, but hey, now I think I can go 8:00), and the 5K pace at 7:23 (I have my current 5K pegged at 7:50/mile). Yes, that's SEVEN FREAKING 23 FOR THIS OLD LADY! Maybe there's hope for me as a runner yet!

This has me all fired up for my sprint race on Sunday, because I get to go head to head with my nemesis, who has beat me by a hair the last 2 times out. I am going to give her a run for her money, that's for sure. Since I've been at or beyond puking speeds in biking and running workouts for 4 weeks now, it's good to see something is paying off on the track, and since I'm rearranging my workouts later this week, I should be all nice and rested for this race (ha ha my definition of "rest" is just an easy swim and ride the day before).

There are only 2 words to describe how I feel right now--FUCKIN' A.

6 comments:

Crash said...

yeah, he'd better run faster.

Feels good to know that your improving doesn't it. nice.

Bullet said...

That was a great post. I agree with you totally. I need competition. Don't get in my way if we're in a race, but if you watch me by myself, I'm pathetic. Good luck! Oh yeah, and that guy is toast.

Fe-lady said...

Good luck this weekend! I would bet though that your nemisis is resting the day before...don't burn yourself out before the big day!

kozzy said...

I love it when the run comes together. Pure sweetness.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Go get 'er, girl!

Fe-lady said...

Thanks for pointing out the typo...with skills like that you should be an editor or a teacher!
How did your race go?