Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Here We Go Again

I just got home from an exhausting day in a hospital. This time it's my Dad. Admitted early this morning with excruciating pain. I guess he had lied over the past few days when telling me and other siblings that he was feeling better, from what he thought was a bladder infection.

"Free air" was detected in his abdomen, and a CT scan showed lesions on his liver, so surgery was called for right away. After he came to, the surgeon came to talk to me, my brother Tom, and Tom's wife Robin (who is a nurse), so thankfully I had some company. They found and repaired a duodenal ulcer, which was the primary cause of all the pain Dad was in, but then they discovered metastatic cancer on the liver. A biopsy has been done to determine the origin of the cancer, but the net net is that things are not good.

I have power of attorney (medical and financial) as soon as I have the physician declare the need, and I want to be prepared for whatever may come to pass from here on out--whether it's quickly or slow and painfully. Tom and I went to Dad's house to see if we could find the financial records and passwords. I have a pile of paper to go through. I don't think Dad's going back home. He is going to need daily care from here on out regardless, upon learning he hasn't been taking too good care of himself, and I'm sure plenty of this is due to the stress of losing his wife just over a year ago. Oh yeah--yesterday was my birthday. Happy birthday to me! And Friday is Dad's 81st birthday. Happy birthday to him!

Even before we knew surgery was imminent and then a preliminary diagnosis, today I decided that this weekend, which was to be a casual get together with a "birthday theme," was going to turn into a family meeting of the siblings. I have already declared to my 2 brothers and 2 sisters that I cannot handle this all by myself. Don't get me wrong--I will handle as much as I can possibly handle, but this time I'm asking for--no--DEMANDING--help. Making the calls today was very painful. I have learned how to know how broken up my siblings are over the phone by the different speech mannerisms they portray. I lose it myself, but I want them to feel like they can unload on me. This is not fun. It wasn't fun a year and a half ago with my Mom, and it isn't fun now.

Driving home tonight, I had the thought that my role in all of this crap is to somehow be the pillar of strength. As much as I "feel" this right now, I think I shoulder a lot of it for my brothers and sisters, and I want them to be able to feel like I'm at least sort of holding things together.

I find it interesting that I knew there had to be more reason for me to take a break/kick things down a few notches in my triathlon endeavors than me just needing a physical break. Perhaps the universe was asking me to get some rest to steel myself for this current challenge. I have just been starting to feel strong again and able to run without feeling like I've got no power. Go figure!

So in writing this, I am once again asking all you out there to be strong for ME.

Peace. Love the ones you love. We aren't here very long at all!

14 comments:

Cindy Jo said...

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Call me anytime if you want to talk or if there is anything I can do. You and your dad are in my thoughts and prayers!

Jacob said...

We've never met. But, I enjoy reading your blog on a continual basis and want you to know that you and your family are in my prayers.

Blessings,

Jacob

Tri Mom said...

Found your blog through Shelly's. I bet you have a lot of being to be strong for you right now. The energy and strength that you've gained notching things down for the last couple of weeks will help you be strong in the weeks to come. Take care.

Born To Endure said...

Oh Sheila..i'm so sorry to hear about this...you be strong, we are here for you ..anything you need, let us know.
Thinking of you!!!

Brett said...

I'm very sorry to hear about all of this. Perhaps you are right. The universe wanted you take a break to prepare for you for this. Perhaps it also has given you triathlon to make you stronger so you can be there to support your loved ones in times of need. Don't feel like you need to shoulder it all by yourself, though. Call me if you need to talk ... Sending you mental hugs ...

Brett

Carrie said...

First- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Seems too soon to start this all over again. You are a pillar of strength and I know you'll make the most of your time with your dad. Great big hugs to you!

Nancy Toby said...

Very best wishes and positive thoughts to you and everyone in your family during this difficult time.

Mark said...

Hang in there Sheila - you're a tough cookie!

VMWare Grandmaster said...

"Peace. Love the ones you love. We aren't here very long at all!"

No we're not. Best of luck to you in this. You can get through it, no matter what.

Lee said...

I've been a lurker for a while and have enjoyed your blog and been inspired by you.

Happy Birthday!
And I wish you strength and peace as you deal with everything during this tough time.

effendi said...

Wow. be strong and I hope all improves

Julie B said...

Hi Sheila, I'm so sorry to hear the news of your Dad. I'm going through another round of cancer with my Mom; it's tough, but it just is what it is. Enjoy every day you have, that's all we can do. Enjoy him!

Julia said...

Sorry to hear this news Sheila.
My best to you and your family.

Happy birthday too :-)

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

happy birthday - sorta.

I'm here for you whenever you need. You don't have to be strong all the time, it's OK to ask for help.