Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I'm not on drugs (wish I were)...


Brett asked me to write up the story behind these Boohbahs. Head on over to his blog for his story (whenever he gets around to posting it), since he's now the proud owner of one.

It was 2004, and I was in a hotel room in Racine, WI preparing for a HIM the next day with a former (I hate saying it, but it's true) friend, killing time before race checkin and channel surfing. What should come on the tube but Boohbah! I didn't know it at the time, but it was the successor of Teletubbies. I've seen Teletubbies, and in my opinion, Boohbah is a lot better.

Anyway, you need to actually watch an episode of it (I own the Hot Dog episode, which is a classic) to believe it, but the first time I saw it, I had no idea it was a kid's show, and thought I might have stumbled onto the drug channel. It wasn't until weeks later that I encountered another reference to the show, and found out they made these animated and other versions that you see in the picture. It is just so screwball that I had to buy them, and then I decided they needed Ironman clothes, so I doctored up some infant T-shirts for the larger ones. The big ones are about 12" tall, and they "dance" and make Boohbah noises. The smaller yellow one can be squeezed to make noise, and the small blue one is for travel, although it's been replaced by shark and octopus Beanie Babies on my car's dashboard. The one with the baby PeopleSoft hat--PeopleSoft is the name of the company that I used to work for. It no longer exists. When we were transitioning to the new company, someone left a box of these baby hats in the public kitchen area, and I snagged one.

I know it's silly that I own these things, but hey, I'm silly that way. Sometimes I fire up the dancing ones (I usually only keep 2 on top of the TV) right before I do a trainer workout. It sort of signals "game on."

Last week, Brett tells me his kids are starting to watch and enjoy Boohbah, and he doesn't get it--he also thinks it has something to do with drugs. So I sent him some Boohbah stuff and one other thing, which when he gets around to posting, you'll see.

Oh--I'm going to try and run today and see how that feels. A real easy run. I'm still enjoying the fact that I've effectively done 2 HIM's in 3 weeks. That's something I'd never done before!

If you've never seen Boohbah before, check out this perfect sendup of the opening sequence:

8 comments:

Brett said...

Cool, and thanks again! BOOOOOOOBAH!

Crackhead said...

It's BEEEEEEEEBAH that they say. Quit eating the mushrooms!

Brett said...

BEEEEEBAH, BOOOOOOBAH, it's all psychadelic to me. :)

Crackhead said...

Just make sure you roll your head around while you say it! Or fart.

Andy said...

I love them!!! They are funny as hell! If I had one of those, I would just fire it up if I was kinda iffy before a workout and it would SO BE ON afterwards!

Murtha...

Fe-lady said...

They are really scary in my book...!

Jerome Harrison said...

Ok, my kids used to LOVE THOSE THINGS and it drove me nuts!!!

Jen H.

Fe-lady said...

Oh, if you like BooBahs then you will really fall for Yo Gabba Gabba!

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9PqjMSNfkU