Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Clumsy and Scatterbrained, aka 4 weeks out from IMLP

When I get this close to an IM, it seems the only things my brain and body know how to do are:
  1. Swim
  2. Bike
  3. Run
  4. Fix bottles
  5. Laundry and dishes
  6. Mess with bikes (wheels, cassettes, etc.) and race gear
  7. Acquire and eat food
  8. Obsess about training and upcoming races
  9. Obsess about all the ways in which I suck
  10. Anthropomorphize just about anything
Those things I think I can do pretty well. But focusing at work now is a little difficult, although I'm getting it done, and making decisions about things that aren't already on my master schedule are difficult.

This morning I opened 3 cans of Coke to get them busy defizzing and was going to mix up 10 bottles of Endurox R4 (I mix 10 at a time so I achieve optimization of my bottle fixing time) and some Gatorade bottles for swimming, and I had put the cans of Coke back in the fridge, and went in there for something else and knocked over one of the cans of Coke, and it seemed like a huge tragedy. Luckily, the whole can didn't spill, but it still took time to clean it off all the surfaces it did hit in the fridge. The experience just reminded me that I need to be careful with simple things now, as I get clumsy doing much of anything besides swimming, biking and running.

As far as the #9 above, that sounds counter to what I should be doing, but it's mostly an effort to stay in touch with my emotions even as I am feeling good and aggro about training and maybe even racing. It's just that I am still not over this love I felt for someone, and try as I might to get all negative about him and such, it's not working, so I know I have a few more weeks of that to go. And while sometimes I feel like I'm superhuman, man, I know some really talented people (athletically, that is) and I don't put myself in that same category AT ALL. Mostly I just like to train, and I know that my training isn't necessarily optimal for all the crazy shit I like to do, and I am OK with it.

I'm looking forward to my partial weekend up in Wisconsin, but have decided to come back on Saturday night so I can have a relaxing Sunday and maybe even check out a local festival that I have really enjoyed in the past. I hope I am able to catch some of the balloons taking flight on Thursday and Friday mornings!

2 comments:

Push_10_Gs said...

just think of 9 as a good thing and smile!

Crackhead said...

Yes, there is that one way that I suck that is oh so good!