Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Eve 3/3

Every year, if possible, I try and do a big workout the week of Christmas and the following week, since I get a day off of work.

This year I penciled in a 3-hour swim followed by a 3-hour ride. Last year I swam 9100 yards and then rode 90 miles on the trainer, so this years' workout should be a snap, right?

No. It major-ly SUCKS to bike after a really long swim, although I guess it didn't suck so badly at UMC--but I was excited because it was a race.

Last year, I had the day off work before the big workout, but this year not. I did a relatively easy 1-hour trainer ride on Thursday, a 30' easy run, and nearly an hour of heavy lifting. In retrospect, I'm not sure how I fit all that in, but that is true of many of my weekdays.

When I woke up Friday morning, my entire upper body was sore from the lifting, so I figured the swim would be interesting. I had my usual pre-race/pre-big event breakfast of a Power Bar Triple Threat and 400 calories of Ultrafuel. Every time I use Ultrafuel, I'm amazed at how within 5 minutes of drinking it down my nose runs profusely (and I just looked it up this is called Gustatory Rhinorrhea). If I didn't know that this was a normal side effect of ingesting so much sugar in a few gulps, I might think I was sick! I got to the Y before the doors opened at 5AM. They opened the doors a few minutes late, but I was OK with that. I knew I'd have time to swim at least 9,000 yards.

I think I must have stood on deck a few extra minutes because I didn't start swimming until 5:08. Most times I do these really long swims I start to make something up in my head about how I am going to break it up depending on how I feel as soon as I wake up, but I also change the plan while I'm going. I felt like starting out with a nice 2500 straight swim. The water was a nice temperature--just about 85--although I would have liked it to be colder. My arms hurt right away, even though I had stretched before I started and even worked on my forearms. Oh well!

Next I did 500 of something involving fins--I don't remember exactly, but there was some drill work in there and just some kicking on my back so I could stretch out my lats. While doing that, I thought about what I wanted to do next. I decided on doing 250's as 200 free/50 kick at a pretty good clip (for me). Initially, I thought about doing 10 to knock out another 2500, but then since I was able to speed up a little as I went, I extended that to 12, then 14, then 16, knowing that the more of these I did, the less I would have left when I finished them. Each one was done with 20 seconds or so of rest. My arms were not happy, but I needed to press on. After I finished this set, part of me really wanted to just stop swimming, and I could have, as 7,000 yards would have been "enough," but I had the day off and plenty of time to swim at least another 2,000 yards, so it would be stupid to quit.

It was nice to take off the goggles for 300 kick after that! It goes without saying that I was pounding down Infinit in between these sets. Many swimmers came and left up to this point. As my calves took turns cramping slightly, I decided the next set would be with the pull buoy. I used to do the pulling part right after my "warmup," but have switched since a few weeks ago to save the pulling for last. Why? Because it fucking sucks. If I can still manage to work my way through the water this way, it should make me stronger. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Based on the clock time, I knew I'd have time to at least meet last week's 9500 yard swim. I even had designs on hitting 10000 yards, but I wasn't sure whether I was going to be cut off at 8:30 or not. So I just kept going. My next set was 1500 pull. Shortly after I started, another guy got in the lane next to me, and he seemed to be just off my feet. All I could think to myself was, "Hey buddy I've got 7,000 yards on you already and I'm dog tired you should be able to go faster than me considering you're about a foot taller than me!" But he never got out in front of me, and when I stopped after 1500, he did too, and said, "You aren't stopping now, are you?" You can imagine the possible retorts going on inside my head--even though I might not have been counting so well at this point, I tried to maintain a sense of humor here. I told him that was 8800 yards so far and that yes, I was going to keep swimming until we were kicked out. He asked me whether I swam in college! That made me laugh--I mean, I'm slow, and he is slower than me. I told him no way, I've only been swimming for 10 years and that he had better get ready to go a bit faster as I was going to put on the big paddles. I didn't have time for chit chat, so off I went, and he came after me.

I don't remember how long it took me to lap him but it wasn't too long. I got in another 1000 yards before the guards began moving the lane ropes for the water aerobics class. Even though I was slightly disappointed I didn't knock out the 10000 even, hey, 9800 isn't bad for a day's work, is it? And it was more than I'd planned anyway, so all good, right?

I took my time in hoisting myself out of the pool, as I was in no hurry. A man I know asked me if that was my longest swim to which I replied, "Hell no. The Ultraman swim was 10K." For some reason, I guess it never stuck in his head all the times I told him what I'd been training for during the summer, but all is forgiven ;) I honestly don't expect most people to even comprehend what I'm training for. I promptly began babbling about I don't remember what, but I know I was talking at a fast pace. That's what happens when you are done swimming so much.

I took a nice, long, hot shower and then spent some time in the sauna stretching, feeling good that I'd swum that much but not really looking forward to getting on the bike. Still, it had to be done, and I'd brought my biking clothes with me to the Y and changed into them, spent some time catching up with a friend, then headed home to do the riding.

When I finally got on the bike (10:10AM--I fucked around too much in between workouts, but oh well nobody cares but me, right?), guess what was on Universal Sports? SWIMMING! This made me smile. It really is about the little things, I guess. It was the short course world championships from Dubai. Man, those athletes must hate swimming in a 25m pool as much as I hate 25 yards!

That lasted a little while and then downhill skiing was on. This got me more motivated, since I would try and ride a little harder for each run down the hill, and I got mad when a few men crashed--it messed up my rhythm!

My legs felt fine all the while I was riding, but if you've never tried it before, I highly recommend swimming for 2.5-3 hours and then immediately getting on a bike. Please report back how sucky it feels. Although near the end of the 3 hours I finally didn't feel all that bad. After all, I have done this before. The first time you do something like this, it doesn't really feel that bad because of the excitement of the unknown, but after you've done it a few times, you realize just how much it truly sucks, especially when you are going nowhere. Now, I know that when I'm doing this in Kona next November, it will hurt a lot (especially that most excellent fuck-me-in-the-ass 1500 ft. climb right out of the ocean), but at that point I will be going somewhere and the excitement of being back in Kona after not having been there since 2004 when I raced the Ironman should help carry me through.

When I am doing these things, there is this constant voice in my head saying EYES ON THE PRIZE--EYES ON THE PRIZE. And indeed, now my eyes are on my New Year's Eve swim, where I hope to do 12,000 yards as long as I can get enough continuous lap swim time. I'm going to be careful to get all my lifting done by Wednesday so that my upper body is somewhat rested. I know that my upper body will hurt at some point during the swim, but I will welcome the pain.

No comments: