Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Understanding "Hard" and I Get Shit For...

A couple of topics that came to mind yesterday and this morning.

First, understanding HARD.

While on the trainer yesterday banging out this workout:
WU: 15' wup, 3' su, 9' Z3, 3' cd
MS: 4x8' (2') FT,
10' 80-85%
10 x 30/30's

which I began at 12:45PM (and I had done an hour of "strength work" at 7AM including legs), I was thinking about CrossFit, P90X, TRX and assorted other relatively recent fitness programs (or if you want to call them religions, fine). I train, first and foremost, for ultra distance triathlon, but I enjoy being in some semblance of "good shape" (not any strict definition) and have a streak of vanity that when combined, push me to continue doing my "strength work." I don't do CrossFit and have never done a P90X or TRX workout. But I think I understand HARD.

My frame of reference for HARD came about many years ago when I was on a bodybuilding kick of sorts. I got into heavy lifting and at one time in my 30's would lift 4-5 hours a week, and this is not including rest time in between sets. I thought some of those workouts were pretty hard.

Fast forward to 2000 when I began training for my first Ironman. While I wasn't doing particularly intense workouts (the objective was for me to finish so it was primarily overdistance work), my body interpreted the training as hard. But it was hard in a different way than the heavy lifting. Still, I kept up some strength work during this and every so often I would ask myself which was harder--the heavy lifting or the long hours of endurance work. It was hard to say, but I knew when I finished that first Ironman that it was hard.

After the first Ironman, my body adapted, and the long endurance sessions became easier, and due to developing additional mental toughness and being able to recover better, of course I got faster for my 2nd Ironman doing effectively the same training as for the first one. But just as in lifting to build muscle, you need to keep upping the ante if you want to improve.

It was in 2004 that I began training on the bike with a power meter and my eyes were opened to a new world of hard in terms of bike workouts, like the one I did yesterday. Oh my did I figure out in a hurry that I hadn't really been working that hard in my biking. But because I really do love riding bikes, I was so motivated to explore this new world of hard (plus I have always been competitive even just with myself), and since then, I have enjoyed putting up big TSS numbers during bike workouts, and my cycling fitness shows for it.

A nice side effect of this bike training was that it carried over into swimming and running. I no longer was afraid of pushing myself to a point of fatigue or muscle soreness in selected individual workouts. Now, I've learned that I can't do that every single workout, but I do know that I have to incorporate a certain amount of intensity in order to maintain and even improve my fitness/speed. Keep in mind that I do not try and stay as fit as I am right before Ironman or Ultraman year-round. It is just not possible or even a good idea. So I do let myself lose fitness for a few weeks in the fall (I'm already through it), and then I begin rebuilding myself, measuring things along the way (mostly speed, and power on the bike) to see where I'm at. Measure and test. Work harder. Rinse and repeat.

I enjoy reading anecdotal stories about people who have gotten into CrossFit or P90X or TRX and proclaim that it has had this profound effect on their endurance sports. Well, from a physiological standpoint the answer is, uh, NO. If you want to be really good at swimming, for example, you swim a lot, you swim fast sometimes, you practice perfect technique a lot. There are no peer-reviewed studies that show traditional lifting or CrossFit or P90X or TRX will make you into a better swimmer. Or biker. Or runner.

But (and here is the revelation) I think that for some people, doing these non-endurance things (hell it could be any number of other exercises) teaches them what HARD really is, and then they carry over that notion into their target sports, and voila, they improve because they learn that they weren't pushing themselves THAT hard before and have redefined it! Or maybe those things give you that nice looking muscular physique that you've always wanted, and seeing yourself turn into that motivates you to work harder at your other sports.

So I don't think it matters, really, whether a double-blind study can be constructed to prove or disprove that some other form of exercise besides your target sport helps your sport. It's how you perceive it.

In my little study of N=1, I am glad that I had a background of serious weight lifting once upon a time to imprint in me one level of HARD. But I needed to redefine my HARD in terms of my chosen sport to progress. For me it took a power meter and some really tough bike workouts, and also a change in my run training.

So to those people who like to argue that the only way to get faster at S/B/R is to do those things a lot and sometimes very hard and that any other forms of exercise are a waste of your precious time available to train, GREAT! Let's all just agree that from a physiological standpoint you are correct, but as we also know, the human mind is extremely powerful and in many cases, our bodies can and will do something as long as our mind is convinced we can, even if we have to fool ourselves by taking up some other seemingly contrary form of exercise to convince it.

So maybe when you are doing your CrossFit or P90X or TRX or elliptical or jump rope (I'm a big fan of jumping rope and other silliness that I don't talk about) or hundreds of squats, consider not just how this makes your body feel and perform but your mind.

And now onto my other topic--things I get shit for.

I get shit from some CrossFit adherents. Hey--I don't advertise every single thing I do to prepare for my competitions, and no it is not all LSD, so shut the fuck up. I respect what YOU do. There are things you do that I cannot (or choose not to) do, and there are things that I do that you cannot do (or choose not to). Maybe when I stop wanting to do triathlon I will switch over to the dark side. Or maybe not. I really like my bikes ;)

I get shit for making a big deal about 4 extra pounds on my body. Really? REALLY??? Are you just jealous because your standards aren't as high as mine? Do you want to bring me down to your level? Is my choice to be highly fit inconsistent with your definition of what a 54-year old woman should be doing? What if I said my cholesterol was borderline high (which it isn't)? Wouldn't you expect me to do something about it?

I get shit for training as much as I do, as if I somehow have an easy life, and therefore, it allows me to kick the shit out of most canned training plans. Last time I checked, my life is no easier than most. I work full time at a job that can be quite stressful at times (I'm not complaining), I have no other income to fall back on should I lose my job, I choose to own a home and be accountable for maintaining it and I don't have any children who are going to look after me in my (already?) old age. If it makes you feel better, I have a fucking easy life. There. Are you happy?

I get shit for my sky high standards. OK, you got me there! It is who I am. I enjoy being good at things, receiving accolades at work for being a high performer, collecting the occasional hardware in a triathlon for placing in my age group, learning about the details of how the human body and mind function so maybe I can maximize my own function. Sure I could have a completely different life, but I like the current one. So for those of you who keep wondering when I am going to stop all this and live like a regular person, I guess you are going to have to wait a few more years.

No comments: