Friday, August 02, 2013

I Think I Got My Triathlete Card Back Today!

So tomorrow is a 1/2 NothingMan, and I've done a 2-week run taper and a 2-day bike/swim crash taper for it.  This morning I did a 1600 yd. swim, then a long transition (shower/shave), then :30 on the bike, quick transition, then a :20 run.  So I did a Sprint NothingMan! I did it all at the Y to avoid excess transition time and besides the road just outside it is still under construction.  The juices were flowing, and I felt like I was racing.  Everything felt effortless, and this after I about broke down crying earlier today because I couldn't believe how good (physically and mentally) I felt.  I haven't felt this good in a few years.  I wanted to push it this morning, but restricted myself to short bouts of that, because I do have this other thing to do tomorrow...

Yesterday I tried out my new aerohelmet that I bought over a year ago and never, ever wore on a ride.  I hadn't earned the right to wear it.  I went out on Skull Kingdom, and was flying--the helmet is da bomb--but realized that it wasn't exactly safe to wear around the neighborhoods because I couldn't turn my head to look behind, so I went home after :20 and changed into a regular helmet for safety, and also because I looked like an incredible dork or else maybe I looked scary.  I mean, I'm on a bike covered with skulls, I'm wearing this pointy helmet that has scary skull stickers on it, and I'm all hunkered down in the aerobars.  But it felt really cool.

Is this the SHIT or what???
I was happy to do the little sprint thing today and even thought that if I had entered the Naperville Sprint that is this Sunday, that I might actually do pretty well at it.  Time was in 2004 that I won my AG and had the fastest women's bike split OVER ALL.  That was good times.  It was one week before Ironman Canada and I was feeling great.  I am not quite that cut (yet) but feel like I might have a shot at getting close to that body comp and speed again.  Or not.
This is me in 2004 Naperville Sprint
Speaking of my body, I can tell that I must be dialed in on the thyroid meds.  In just the last few weeks, I've shed some bodyfat and fit perfectly into some of my "Ironman week" clothes, when I am typically hyper fit and hyper lean.  And I've been eating like it's going out of style!  Heart rate seems fine, though, so I'm most likely not turning hyPERthyroid.  It's been so long since I've been so hyped up about NOTHING, and yet I can remember that I have felt this way in the past.

So tonight, I will sleep on my NothingBed, whereupon I finally put on the skull duvet cover that I have had for over a year, but never used, because I wasn't doing anything!





I'm a triathlete again!  Fuckin' A!


No comments: