Saturday, October 12, 2013

High Holy Day Reminiscing and Further Adjustments

Today is Ironman Hawaii, aka Kona, aka The Big Dance.  I know at least 20 racers there.  I was there myself in 2004 on a lottery slot, but I did my lottery slot proud in a year with howling winds.  Here's my medal and the misspelled mug (it says TriathNlon and ChampionSNip):

Boy do these bring back the memories!  I hadn't pulled out my medal in years.  The mug is reserved for special occasions, like the morning of a really long ride (4+ hours), or race where I think I need to HTFU.  I barely used it in 2012 because I was so miserable and not doing much of anything.  Today I drank out of the mug in celebration of those who are racing Kona today, and I will be on the trainer for 4 hours.

This past Monday, I went to my doctor to discuss my recent medical observations and happenings, and they drew blood for a thyroid panel, which I expected to show that I was hyPERthyroid.  Meanwhile, I'd dropped my levothyroxine dosage by 12.5 mcg in anticipation of dropping it even further once I got the test results back.

On Wednesday, Dr. Ambrose called me personally.  This has never happened, and she started out with, "I've got bad news."  I didn't flinch or panic, I just waited.  She told me I'm actually hyPOthyroid, even worse than I've ever measured at.   We had a little chat about have I ever experienced slight mania?  I guess I have, it typically happens at some point in an Ironman training cycle, but I observe the same thing with other people.  She knows I am naturally a little "hyperactive" (for lack of a better word unless you call it Crackheaded), and wanted to know if I'd ever gone to a very high level.  Well other than feeling "extra happy" the day I ended up in the ER, I'd have to say NO.  But I do seem to have fairly high highs at times, and I've never sweated them.  But then I also have had lows, but the only bad one was last year, and that may correspond to my thyroid crapping out or inordinate amounts of stress and who knows which caused which or whether they were just coincidentally simultaneous?  How about that turn of phrase?  "Coincidentally simultaneous."

This will bear further investigation, and I am going to put together a bunch of data for Dr. Ambrose for the last 12 years or so with my sleeping patterns, major life events and races, and we'll see what we see. Since I know I've been hypothryoid since before I started endurance training, I will try and go back further at a macro level, since I never tracked sleep or anything else before I began doing triathlons.  Or should I say triatNlons ;)

Additionally, Dr. Ambrose said that if I wanted to she'd write an order for me to wear a special heart monitor for 24 hours to see if there is anything odd going on there.  I'm going to strap it on next Tuesday.  Even though my BP has settled back down, and for the most part I'm not experiencing palpitations, I think it will be worthwhile to do this exercise in case it catches something.

Finally, I get to increase my levothyroxine dose somewhat since I'm hypo again.  I have a theory about this that the training stress impacts my thryoid function (to a hyPO state), but that it simultaneously induces a somewhat hyper, manic state.  There is precedence for this, but it is rare to be both manic and hypothyroid at the same time.  But then again, who has studied ultra athletes in detail?  I'm thinking my doctor could write a research paper on me.  One thing I want to do is test my thyroid function every 6-8 weeks for a few months just to see what it does in relation to my training volume.  I think that could show what's going on, but we won't know until we do it.  I am 100% certain my doctor has never worked with someone just like me, so I hope at least she finds the experience interesting!

Meanwhile, I fell with 3.5 miles to go in my long run on Thursday.  Luckily, I fell on the pads of my hands.  I slightly bruised my right knee and my left forearm, and I also hit on my left boob, not sure how, but I can't see a bruise there.  However, I strained my external obliques, so I'm applying Flector (NSAID) patches to them until they settle down.  Funny thing is the crash didn't make me panic or anything, since I was having such a good run (ended up at 14.4 miles in 2:08) and enjoying myself, and I was able to run back home after getting a few ice packs from the grade school nurse!  I was also able to swim yesterday, so all systems are still go.

So to summarize, I am quite unique, and while I had become tired of all the doctor visits and tests and such, I am actually glad that we may finally figure out what's going on with my physiology.  It would be really nice to have my thyroid function 100% for IMCOZ.  If the current step in dosage is correct, I should be there.  Funny I haven't achieved my optimal TSH of 2 so far this year.  I really wonder what it will feel like to be there and race that way?  I really wish I could test myself much like diabetics do--that's what makes all this thyroid crap annoying, but I just have to deal.

Speaking of IMCOZ, they have posted the start list and there is at least one gal much faster than me, so I don't know about a Kona slot.  But that's OK, I am just glad I feel good despite my body doing weird things, I'm going, I'm racing with a huge smile on my face being grateful for the opportunity, and my day will be whatever it will be.

Life is still good, I'm still happy, and now I get on my bike and then I get to watch KONA!!!

No comments: