Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My Pet Tapeworm


He's baaaaaack. Constant hunger. Metabolism is racing like a good BBQ fire. Throw more wood on it! I don't think it matters how much I eat now, as long as I E-A-T. And try to match that to my training. This is not easy, but I'm trying.

Yesterday, thankfully, I got my Bitch back. All with SRM re-energized with new batteries, speed sensor works, recalibrated, bike all tuned up, gosh I missed her. So I needed to do an FTP test yesterday.

I was supposed to do a brick run, but that would need to wait until later in the day, since it took some time getting to the bike shop, and then I needed to wait for new cleats to put on my shoes (luckily I spotted the worn out metal on the old pair last weekend). The run would get done after work.

I had about 300 calories at breakfast, I ate a banana, I snacked on jelly beans, and I started on a can of Ultra Violence before the workout. During the workout (my FTP hasn't changed, by the way, still holding at 171), I polished off the UV and a little Gatorade. When I finished (around 1:45PM), I drank a serving of Endurox R4 and had about 300 calories of lunch. So at this point I'm up to about 1400 calories.

At about 6:15 I went to the Y to do a short run. I figured I'd run on the treadmill just to keep my QL/piriformis issue in check, and then I'd stretch afterwards. I drank a 20-oz. bottle of Gatorade during and finished up while I stretched. I got home at 7:30 ready for dinner, relaxation and sleep.

As soon as I got into my house, I felt a little dizzy and weak. My good friend Mr. Hypoglycemia had come to visit! Since I knew what it was (although I was a little surprised--I didn't think I was that depleted), I decided to gamble a little and see how long I could wait to eat something before passing out, or at least falling over. But I threw my dinner into the microwave for 2 minutes 45 seconds, and when it was done I finally sat and chowed down. I literally shovelled the rice into my mouth, because I was no longer willing to mess with Mr. Hypoglycemia. About 10 minutes and 700 calories later, I felt fine. Actually the dizziness passed within minutes of getting the rice down (see this is why sometimes you need to eat high glycemic foods). But it made me laugh, and I wouldn't have written a post if this hadn't happened. I figured I was still low on calories for the day, so I polished off the remainder of a package of Jordan almonds, maybe 20 of them? It doesn't matter. I needed calories.

I lasted about :45 reading before it was lights out. And I went down FAST, by 8:45.

I know that tapeworm is still with me because I woke up hungry, ate, went to the pool, was hungry while swimming, and I'm eating again. About 4 more weeks to deal with the tapeworm and then it will be taper time! But it's totally worth it to be on the lean side; it's what I want for Ironman Brazil, and dealing with some level of hunger is worth the effort.

7 comments:

greyhound said...

So glad that I found your blog. I think the tapeworm's twin inhabits me. My wife looked on in horor as I wolfed down four waffles smothered in peanut butter and syrup one night last week, but the weight keeps dropping off and I am a threat to consume anything not affirmatively poisonous to the human body.

Born To Endure said...

I would like one of those please!!

Julie B said...

Good girl; you keep on feeding that fire!

Crackhead said...

Anyone who wants a tapeworm put in these weekly training hours, come on and join me for a few workouts: 16, 22, 15.5, 17.5 (last 4 weeks). This week I'll hit about 21, and the following week about 22. On average I burn 425 calories per hour, so I'm burning 6600-9400 extra calories a week, or 950-1350 per day. Add that to a racin' metabolism that uses 2200-2500 just laying around, and you see why Mr. Tapeworm is back. And no wussy workouts, either!

Ask Ms. Berg, who probably burns even more than me per week with all her running--I bet her tapeworm is bigger than mine! She probably burned >10,000 in her little 100-mile adventure last weekend!

Fe-lady said...

Ewww. that pix totally gives me the heebie-jeebies. I think it's from having pet cats as a kid (strays) and watching them throw-up a tape worm or two. Thanks for the memories...
I am hungry all the time too, and am only training for 1/4 the distances you are. (Fast metabolism!) I don't know how I would manage to get in the calories I need when I begin my IM training. (But I have done it before...so I guess I can do it again!)

Anonymous said...

Are you serious or are you just using tapeworm as a metafor? As much as I want to lose weight I don't think I would take a tapeworm on to do it.

Comm's said...

so great. that hunger gives life a whole new meaning.