Monday, May 08, 2006

Weekly Workout Totals: 05/01/2006-05/07/2006

It was another big training week for me. A Race Rehearsal week, to be specific. I also got to retest my bike FTP (Functional Threshold Power). There were good things and not so good things that happened during the week:

Good

  • My FTP improved from 171 watts to 177 watts. You may look at that and think that’s just statistical variation, but not from where I sit. I did the test on Wednesday outside, and trust me, it was a trick to keep my watts where I wanted them (and more!) while managing shifting winds and terrain.
  • I reestablished that I have plenty of swim endurance after Friday’s big swim of 5,150 yards, which included the 3800 meter time trial swim. When I was done, I felt like I could have kept swimming at the same pace for at least another 1,000 yards.
  • I got plenty of TOA (time on ass) on the bike. I added a short (1:42), easy (SHOCK!!!) ride on Saturday just because I felt like it. It was odd to intentionally ride easy, but I figured this would be good practice for Sunday’s 112-mile ride at Ironman wattage guidance
  • I ran 9:00mpm off the bike after Sunday’s 112-mile ride. For 5 miles. I have NEVER done that before!
  • Based on measurements taken from my hips, butt and thighs, I am one lean machine. My hips and butt both lost 1/2", my thighs did not lose any size (killer bike workouts will do that), and my weight remained unchanged. I am fairly certain I have not lost any muscle; therefore I must have lost a little more fat. Unbelievable. My swimsuits are getting loose in my butt. Never in my wildest thoughts did I think this would happen. I just need to hold this body composition going into the race. Hell, I could even go up a notch in body fat, but I'm going to milk this phenomenon for what it's worth.
  • Psychologically, I felt some of the stress and sadness of my mom’s death lifting.
  • I slept a ton.
  • I feel GREAT today, considering what I did last week. The past 3 Mondays I have felt like someone has been pummeling me with a meat tenderizer all over my body.

Not So Good

  • My FTP improved from 171 watts to 177 watts. This makes both lists, because as I get stronger, it means I get to work harder each time I ride the bike! But it’s OK, because indicators from my rides were pointing to the number going up
  • My swim time trial took 1:16. I honestly felt like I was swimming faster than that. On the other hand, I felt really strong, relaxed and held great form the entire time. I get another chance this Friday to see if, with a little less volume, I can go a little faster.
  • My 112-mile ride took 6:15. I thought I could go faster, but it is what it is. I rode how I was supposed to ride, and believe me, it was hard to focus for so long on riding SO EASY. I did the ride with an organized ride, so the conditions weren’t ideal (lots of starting and stopping, even a period of lostness, which turned out to be a good thing, as I got in all the miles), and I had plenty of offers to hang with groups (STRONG groups) of riders. But I had to gingerly say, “Nope, I’m riding my Ironman pace today, so sorry, maybe some other time.” That’s self-control.


All in all, I will call last week a success. I feel ready for the damn race now; as usual, I feel like my coach has me peaking right on schedule, upcoming rest will do me a world of good, and I can start my travel preparations. Holy fuck, I’m going to Brazil!

I’m not generally a superstitious person, but a few things happened this week that seem to be omens:

  • My black toenail from the Goofy Challenge finally came off today. The top part, that is. There is a perfectly good toenail left that is just waiting to be abused in another marathon in 3 weeks.
  • The ruby stud earring I’ve been wearing as my “keep yourself together” amulet since last fall lost its back (the little thing that keeps a pierced stud in place). Thank goodness I didn’t lose the earring. But this tells me that I have been successful in keeping myself together, and that I can go forth and do what I need to do without wearing this anymore.
  • I am (deep breath here) not going into Ironman Brazil looking for a Kona slot. I am going to do the best that I can do on the day. It will be what it will be, and as long as I am on my nutrition and pacing plan (which is nearly drawn up), I am really looking forward to having a good run, my favorite part of the race. Why is it my favorite part? Because if the stuff before it went well, odds are I will get to practice the fine art of being in the moment, being in a state of flow, and I will remember the answer to the question I asked myself yesterday while I was running: “Why the FUCK do I do this?”

On that note, here are the happy totals for the week that was:

Weekly Totals 05/01/2006-05/07/2006
Swim
: 7800 yards in 2.55 hours; 14% of weekly workout time; approx. 949 calories burned
Bike: Approx. 168.2 miles in 9.6 hours; 55% of weekly workout time; approx. 4671 calories burned
Run: Approx. 26.03 miles in 3.93 hours; 22% of weekly workout time; approx. 2067 calories burned
Strength: 1.53 hours; 9% of weekly workout time; approx. 383 calories burned
All Sports: 17.61 hours; approx. 8070 calories burned
Sleep: 9 hours avg./night
Stretching: 2.02 hours

Season Totals 09/12/2005-05/07/2006
Swim: 286350 yards in 101.13 hours
Bike: Approx. 2918.12 miles in 168.02 hours
Run: Approx. 989.51 miles in 155.32 hours
Strength: 51.64 hours
All Sports: 476.11 hours; approx. 212160 calories burned
Stretching: 51.81 hours

Season Weekly Averages 09/12/2005-05/07/2006
Swim: 8422 yards in 2.97 hours
Bike: Approx. 85.83 miles in 4.94 hours
Run: Approx. 29.1 miles in 4.57 hours
Strength: 1.52 hours
All Sports: 14 hours LOOK AT THIS, KIDS.
Sleep: 8.49 hours avg./night
Stretching: 2.16 hours avg./week

Goals from Last Week:

  • Average 8+ hours of sleep per night. DONE (and I LOVED IT!)
  • Stretch over 2 hours for the week. DONE. Came in under the buzzer.
  • Begin race visualization. Race Rehearsal weekend this weekend! DONE.
  • Watch nutrition, as my training hours begin to decrease. DONE.


Accomplishments This Week:
See above for the good.

Goals for Next Week:

  • Average 8+ hours of sleep per night.
  • Stretch over 2 hours for the week.
  • Continue race visualization, and assemble race plan.
  • Stay on top of nutrition.
  • Be careful to hold back during workouts when I am supposed to.

6 comments:

Fe-lady said...

I am glad you didn't go faster than the 1:16 and 6:15 for your TRAINING practices...save the faster times for the race! You should be tapering big time the next two weeks...! Listen to your coach and don't "sneak in " any rides or runs (or swims!) you are not supposed to do! You hear me??? :-) You are READY! And you are going to smoke this course!

Spandex King said...

One word: WOW

Okay, maybe two more: You Rock!!!

Steven said...

Yes, You Rock!
And you will be rocking Brazil soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelia,

I have been reading you blog for a while, and if I can ask you a dorky question, how do you keep such detailed records of your training? are you using excel or some tri specific program.

thanks!
Sean.

Crackhead said...

Hi, Sean.

I use an Excel spreadsheet that I developed over the years. I keep enhancing it, and the most recent was to have it generate the weekly summaries you have been reading. There are sheets for each sport, sleep, stretching, detailed strength (sets and reps and exercises) and all sorts of other nonsense. At the end of this season, check in with me and I'll give you a "blank" template that you can use. Even though I have access to trainingpeaks.com, I still log everything in my own spreadsheet because it has some neat features.

Anonymous said...

thanks shelia!

i will definitely be bugging you for a blank at the end of the session. i've started training for my first tri and need to really start keeping track of everything.

sean