Monday, July 31, 2006

Weekly Workout Totals 07/24/2006-07/30/2006: Rolling, Rolling, Rolling















First, some pictures. The first is of me and my Dad before the sprint race in Schaumburg 3 weeks ago. I guess I look just like him! It was awesome to me to have him there. The second picture is of me and a guy named Les that I met some years ago, and who I run into occasionally at races. He's the one who asked me why I wear socks in a sprint!

On Saturday, since I only had to run 1:30, I went out with my Dad for lunch and an early movie. We at at the Cheesecake Factory. Neither of us could eat more than 1/2 of our lunch--I finished mine later that day as dinner. We went to see Pirates of the Caribbean. I think this was the first movie I had been to in 2 years! The movie was OK, but a little long in the tooth in the middle. Still, it was enjoyable, and it was nice to spend some time with Dad. He had taken the above pictures with a disposable camera and gave me prints.

I'm not going to report the training details for last week--15.53 hours total, not bad for a comeback week after a 1/2 Ironman. I'm pretty tired today, as I rode 106 miles and ran about 3 yesterday.

A couple of items of note:

  • I will be officiating at Ironman Wisconsin 2006 on the bike course! I will be on the back of a motorcycle driven by my coach. It should be fun, and the experience will round out my roster of roles played in an Ironman: athlete, spectator, volunteer, official.
  • While riding yesterday, I had the honor of meeting Bob McKeague, currently the record holder as oldest Ironman Hawaii finisher in 16:21:55, as of last year at the age of 80. My dad is 80 and very fit for his age, but I don't see him doing an Ironman! Bob is such a gentleman! We chatted for a bit, he estimated the cost of my bike, and I told him of my plans to get in a lot of cycling in August. He asked me what I was trying to prove. I said nothing, just trying to become a better cyclist. I would be tickled to be 1/2 as active as Bob when I reach the age of 80!
  • 100 miles is still a long way to ride a bike (it's a long way to drive a car, too). It is also a great way to get to know someone, even better when you can take turns pulling with them.
  • I'll be riding the Ironman Wisconsin course this Saturday, starting around 8AM. Usually by this time I have been on that course 3-4 times, but this is my first time in 2006. I get to "show" the course to Pattie, who will be doing the race (just the swim and bike; she has an injury that has stopped her from running) this fall. The heat wave is supposed to break on Wednesday, so hopefully it will "only" be in the 80's on Saturday. I am sure I will see other people I know out there. Everyone ride safe!
  • I am still enjoying training hard but not training for an Ironman!

4 comments:

Steven said...

15.5 hours of training is a lot...particularly for someone not "training" for a race.

You should get a hobby. ;)

Nice job keeping it rolling...

Andy said...

I think that it is great that your dad could share the experience with you. I also think it is cool that you have been in enough races that you will see people that you have been in races with before, and you get to know them over time.

I am trying to get a race in, possibly next year, out in Nevada or on the west coast so that my parents can watch me complete a triathlon.

Chris said...

Picked up your link over from Comm's site. I'll be out and hopefully see you in Wisconsin. If I see you on the back of the motorcycle, the "HEY SHEILA!" will be from me. :)

Haight said...

Glad you enjoyed your father/daughter time. Maybe dad could do a Sprint Tri...he can build up to IM :)

Will you get a bullhorn to use while you sit on the back of that bike?