Wednesday, August 02, 2006

July Training Totals!

Weights: 4.56 hours
Swim: 15.49 hours, 45,115 yards, 25 miles
Bike: 33.64 hours, approx. 613 miles
Run: 21.82 hours, approx. 142 miles
Total Hours: 75.51 (which is average of 17 hours per week; the month had 4 weeks and 3 days)
Total Miles: 780 (includes 1 sprint and 1 Half Ironman race)

Someone on an email list wanted to know why I was swimming so much--was I training for some really long distance swim race? She should have asked the obvious question, "Why am I training so much?" I told her that I swim a lot because it helps me recover from the other stuff and also because I am not that good at it.

As long as I am feeling good, I am thoroughly enjoying training right now. Even though it's stinking hot. On Monday, I started my run when it reached 99. Yesterday, I started my ride when it reached 100. Today, I'm going to run, but it's "only" 95. The heat wave is supposed to break tonight. THANK GOODNESS! Even though I'm heat acclimated, I do notice that other than my training, I am pretty lethargic, and do not want to be outdoors at all. On the flip side, though, I have a fantastic tan, care of all those running and biking hours outdoors!

3 comments:

Spandex King said...

I'm in LaCrosse and the heat has let up here. Should be there soon. Good Luck in the heat

Steven said...

Holy crap those totals are massive!

Just what ARE you training that hard for? When's the next race?

Crackhead said...

I MIGHT do another 1/2 IM first week of September, I might not (probably I will do it on the IMWI course the day before the race). I am DEFINITELY doing a 1/2 IM in November, but all this training, well, it's just money in the bank, I really do enjoy it.

See, the real test of character and Ironman strength to me is "how much would you train if you didn't have to?" and you know how I answer that question! I have always said that I love the training, and well, I do. It did get a little tedious there in the final build for IM Brazil, but that's a mental thing. If I'm eating and recovering properly, I can easily sustain 15+ hours per week year-round. Just not a big deal. Isn't that cool?