Thursday, October 26, 2006

Firing on All Cylinders

My back is getting better and better, and it's not stopping me from doing anything. I discontinued the NSAID's yesterday afternoon, never did take muscle relaxants, continue to stretch, and feel about 95% of my normal. No real pain--just minor tightness/discomfort when sitting for long stretches. I can tell there are a bunch of trigger points in various muscles that attach to my spine from L1-L5, and I've been working on them myself, and will instruct my massage therapist to give me some TLC in that area tonight.

Tuesday I did a nasty, nasty brick workout, but I held back slightly during the run, not to mention I rode indoors and then went outdoors for a 35-degree temperature change.

Yesterday I swam, and I was hitting 100's, 75's and 50's faster than I have swum in maybe a year, so I guess all that extra mindfulness and drilling is starting to pay off in the pool. I did my tempo run and felt like I could have jacked the treadmill speed higher, but as I've read in Daniels' Running Formula and have heard repeated by my coach, the time to prove you are a lot faster is in a race. So I'm going to hold the training paces I've kept up since the "official" start of this new training season, and see how that translates into 1/2 IM speed.

On the biking front, I am settling back in to trainer riding, and this weekend will test out the new trainer to see whether that makes it easier for me to hit the higher wattages that I am now capable of producing. I am just so tickled that my good old trainer, which I've had for 6 years, is not heavy-duty enough for me anymore. I've decided that at Miami Man that I will shoot for the same wattages as I used back in July at Racine, but with my new measurements being the upper end of a range, and Racine's wattage at the low end. I'd rather bike a bit more conservatively than I *think* I could ride in an effort to have a good run. Then again, it might be hot in Miami, so I'm not making any predictions (Racine was perfect weather for me).

Other than my minor back annoyances, boy do I feel strong and fit. Not Ironman fit, but certainly strong 1/2 Ironman fit, which is exactly what I need to be right now. REALLY running fit. My usual whatever-it-will-be swimming fit, and my biking should be solid for a 1/2 Ironman. This should lead nicely into marathon training, even though my coach insists that it is going to put a damper on my "I want to get faster" goals. We shall see. It sure feels good to feel really strong on only 14 hours a week!

I will continue to monitor my back situation (which I should really now call my iliopsoas situation, because that's where the root of all evil seems to be) so that things don't begin to fall apart, and I will be all over an actual taper for Miami Man!

3 comments:

alow said...

Hey there-
I just finished my first year of collegiate XC running, and Im a senior undergrad. Been doing distance running for a while, and two years ago got into Tri's.
I was injured for the majority the season, with a nasty quad pull.
Raced twice, and now I'm taking 3-4 days of rest, with maybe a light swim here and there.
I noticed your back pain has several of the same symptoms of my leg pain, it doesn't hurt all the time, only when I sit down for a while. Strangely, the elliptical feels good, and I CAN run on it.
All the medical stuff I have read, and consulted, and all the trainers, have concluded it is safe to run through it, but there still is that "splinter in the mind" irritability going on.
I admire your tenacity, and discipline. You rock, and I've love any advice on anything you have!

Comm's said...

I am glad your back is feeling better. Your human and feel pain...I never knew that. Just kidding Sheila.

I noticed your writing shorter posts these days, does this mean you are filling your post season with something more exciting or something else got you occupied? this inquiring mind wants to know

Reen said...

Glad you're feeling better! There's nothing like an ijury to help us remember how lucky we are to be doing what we are!