Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Amateur Day at the Pool














I guess all the people who swim one day a week choose Wednesday, because there was a continuous stream of amateurs while I was there, and I was in the water swimming by 6:30AM. I say this because I swim Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning (and sometimes Saturday), and I know that the Masters swim on Tuesday and Thursday, so odds are anyone who shows up on Wednesday is not there on Tuesday and Thursday, which leaves Monday and Friday and I don't see these people on those days.

I wore the pink Desoto whore suit (see post from a few days ago for a pic of me in it although not wet, and I have no idea what it looks like on me wet) and felt kinda nekkid in it. Shawn was there and he immediately said, "I see you got yourself a new party suit." At least that's what I think he said. I asked him if I looked okay in it, and asked him to be honest. He's married, but I know he flirts with other women at the pool, which is cool--I think that's part of the fun of swimming. Shawn does not need a nickname because he's a mellow dude and a good guy. Anyway, he told me I looked fine, and I jumped in.

Once I started swimming I almost thought the bottoms were going to come off, but thankfully 1) I don't do flip turns and 2) I cinched the tie fairly tight. I guess it was just a matter of getting used to a skimpy bottom. I mean I wear jeans that are that low cut from time to time and you just have to relax. But it's a little different when you are trying to stretch your entire body out to make it as long as possible, know what I mean? And they did gap a little bit at full extension, but hey, I shave!

Now, there was at least one amateur guy that showed up on deck that I don't particularly like (we had a small altercation way back when because he whacked me with his lazy stroking arm), who today catches a look at me and gives me a big wave and a "hi." I'm thinking WTF when did he think I became his friend, so I look over to the lane he is going to swim in and he's standing there and I swear he's got some wood going. You're welcome, El Dorko.

The Scenery arrived and got the lane adjacent to me which was cool, although I prefer swimming in the same lane with him, but it was OK because I've taken up a different breathing pattern so I was always breathing to face The Scenery, no worries there! Bonus is that the desire to watch The Scenery gets me to rotate better.

Huge Walrus Guy (who is actually quite a nice man and decent swimmer--he never collides with me and for his size doesn't make a giant wake) who was initially sharing my lane left and in came Skinny Scruffy Beard Guy, who I've yelled at in the past because he has a shitty breaststroke kick (if you can call it breaststroke) and has kicked me even when I've been way the hell on the other side of the lane. He now knows better to hug the lane rope on his side, and if I remember correctly, he, too, lingered on deck before getting in the lane with me. He had a look of shock on his face in seeing what I was wearing. He has commented from time to time, "You have a lot of nice suits." My Indian name is Girl Who Wear Many Colorful Suits With Words on Butt.

Skinny Scruffy Beard Guy doesn't swim very long so now there's an opening in my lane and I see Look At Me I'm a Fucking Triathlete Guy on deck. I call him this because of course he wears a swim cap from a triathlon, has a bag that he brings on deck that says "FAST" on it (he is a good swimmer), and some sort of designer water bottle that just screams , "I'm a big fucking dorkwad." Initially, he stood at the head of my lane stalking it, but he must have become frightened or something (maybe I looked bad???) and opted for a different lane. Which finally left me all to myself for my main set.

Huh...I guess you could call me the Pool Dominatrix. Thing is, everyone makes nice with me once I've pointed out that they have been hitting or kicking me, annoying me, or just being ugly.

50's, hardly any rest, I about died, and I was about done when Chad (a hottie, but alas, I have no pics of him) arrives, says hi to me and I could barely breathe. I toughed it out a little more, and then I decided I'd had it and I was done. I think somebody was trying to talk to me while I was organizing my crap on deck, but honestly I don't remember. I then timed myself in taking a quick rinso shower and getting to my car. 4 minutes flat!

Meanwhile...the Barbies are a little worked up and so decided to have a little phone sex in the Tiki Hut. Apparently one of them left a message for some guy...I sure hope he takes her up on it!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Half the fun of the pool is swimming next to "scenery."I commend you for your ability to turn scenery into a training tool for bi-lateral breathing. I'm going to have to steal that.

Oh, and sorry to hear about the suit's "inadequate coverage."