Thursday, August 28, 2008

OUCH! FUCK! OUCH! (repeat)

That is what was coming out of my mouth yesterday during my attempted run. I swam in the morning (rode bike to/from pool), and that was good, and then I was oddly pretty damn tired. Oh well, what to do, I need to get some running in this week.

Monday evening during a massage, I noticed my feet felt out of whack--the left one had something going on that hurt under one toe when I flexed my foot, and the right one just seemed generally abused in the arch area. I'm pretty accustomed to trigger point stuff, so I wasn't really concerned. After riding home from the pool yesterday, though, the left foot was totally fine, and I didn't really notice anything in the right.

As soon as I started running yesterday, my right foot didn't feel right on the oustide just in front of my heel. I'm used to all sorts of stuff hurting during the initial part of a workout, so I just tried to ignore it. When I was almost 3 miles out, I couldn't ignore it anymore and decided to take about a 1/4 mile walk break to see if I could figure out what was going on. Well, it hurt more to walk so I just tried to keep to an easy jog.

Stupid idiot, I should have iced my foot immediately yesterday, but I didn't. I did look in my trigger point book to figure out what muscle was causing the problems, and so I worked on it, sonofabitch that hurt! For those playing along at home, it's my abductor digiti minimi, which makes your little toe go away from your midline.

I think part of this is because I haven't worn "normal" shoes in months now. Flip flops, and then running and biking shoes. I got everything ready assuming I'd be running early this morning, but during the night, as it hurt to just walk on the stupid foot, I shut off the alarm, wrapped my foot in an Ace bandage, and slept long and hard.

Today the thing is still hurting, but I'm working on the trigger points, icing, compressing, you name it, although I'm holding myself back since I have a tendency to overdo pretty much anything. I'm also aware that the right side of my back is pretty tight, so I'm stretching that. My guess is that the tight back precipitated the whole thing, that plus just a lot of running on cambered roads for months now.

I guess, in short, this means I've been abusing myself a little bit. I'm going to just see how today goes--I may or may not bike some, and no worries, I'm pretty much tapering now so there's not a whole lot of additional fitness I'm going to get this week. I will make it to the outdoor pool tomorrow, though, since it's the last day of lap swim :(

Meanwhile, good luck to peeps racing at IMLOU this weekend--Shelley, Karen, Leah and Adam. I'll be watching!

2 comments:

Oly said...

AW maaaan, that really sucks. Not cool. Not cool!

Load up on the R&R and HEAL.

Jamie said...

Ugh, sorry to hear about the foot Sheila. Take care of it before you hit the road too hard again!