Monday, September 29, 2008

Things That Are Pink

Summer is winding down and so is my garden, so I felt like taking some pics of the remaining, and soon to be gone flowers. I was reminded of when Cindy was here back in June and she remarked over dinner or while biking that she really liked a certain flower in my yard. I asked her which one, and she said, "The pink one!" I laughed. I have a ton of pink flowers!

The 2 pics above are of colchicum, commonly known as autumn blooming crocus. They are entirely poisonous (colchicine comes from them). I always forget about them because they send up leaves in the spring that then die away, and the flowers come up out of nowhere in the fall. They are about 10" tall, which makes them giants among crocus!
These are anemones, another late bloomer that I love because the bees (non-stinging ones like bumblebees and honey bees) love them and apparently stock up before they head into their winter nests. They are very airy flowers, and they leave pollen and petals all over my driveway, but I don't mind!
This is a small, single-petaled, striped pink rose growing in my back yard. I hadn't expected it to bloom again this late, so it was a welcome surprise.
I don't remember what exactly this plant is, but I know it's in the pea family. It is more or less a shrub where all the branches get covered with the pink flowers in late summer/early fall.
This is an annual Cosmos in my front yard. I love watching goldfinches, which must weigh only an ounce, perched on the fading blossoms to collect seeds. While I did plant fresh seeds this spring, I had a bunch of plants that came up from seed left over from last year, and I hope I get that bonus next year, too. What's funny is that many of the plants line the sidewalk in front of my house, and the plants pretty much spill over, and I see some people heading to the street instead of walking through the flowers. Wow, some people must really be afraid of nature if they can't walk through a bunch of flowers!
These are sedum. This is another plant that the bees absolutely love.
I have neglected my roses this year, but some of them refuse to give up! These two were begging me to pick them and put them in a bud vase. I didn't even bother to go get pruners to cut them; I just bit the stems with my teeth!

1 comment:

Louis Hayes said...

I guess when I saw the title "Things that are Pink," I expected something a bit different from you! haha