Saturday, July 18, 2009

Taper Going Well!

Since I began reinfusing myself with some carbs (beyond the daily beers, that is), I've been feeling better. Of course, yesterday's 5K swim was a watershed for me because not only did I do it in a respectable time, but I negative split, AND I wasn't barely tired afterwards.

Now you might want to attribute this to a taper, but in terms of overall training time, I was at 10 hours by the end of yesterday. 10+ during the week is pretty good no matter what, although the running has gone down a bit. Still, I felt like I should have done another workout yesterday after the swim, and that's a good thing.

I've been spending a lot of my swim time using the paddles, as per advice I received sometime this winter while at one of the indoor sprint triathlons (thank you to whoever you are that suggested I do that!). So for at least the last 5 or so weeks, I've swam anything from 900-2000 yards or meters with the paddles in almost every swim workout I've done. It makes you strong, no doubt about that! I think it is also helping me slowly correct my hand entry, which has always been a problem with me (among my swim issues, that is!). If you don't get your hand entry correct when swimming so much with paddles, well, you can really jack up your shoulders, and I have had zero issues with that.

I slept another glorious 10 hours last night. The weather has been quite cool, and what else am I going to do with all this time on my hands except sleep? Plenty...but I'll get to it later. Today called for a 1:15 run, which was supposed to be done like this:
25' Steady
20' Half marathon pace
2x10' (2') @ 10K pace
5' easy

Fuck that, I decided to JFR (Just Fucking Run). Still I tried to hold back on the first mile or 2 since I'd only finished breakfast about an hour before I took off. I wanted to puke, I really did, and this was good, because I think it forced me to hold back just a little bit. But after 2 miles, I had wheels and just went with it, trying to hold a decent steady pace. I didn't have any heavy leg feelings--it actually felt good to run today!

I had also laced up a brand new pair of running shoes this morning. I had started a different pair a few days ago, but the tongue on the left shoe rubbed against my ankle making it bleed, and I can't have that in an IM, so I picked a different pair and they worked out just fine.

I got my pre-race Brazilian wax after my run, and now I'm just chilling. I will do a bit of yard work and then start organizing all my crap for IMLP. Thank GOD I get to ride a couple of hours tomorrow (and do a brick run and a short swim) otherwise I'd go absolutely crazy! While I am enjoying my rest, there is a certain amount of weekly exercise that makes me feel good and sharp, and 14.5 hours doesn't really cut it during the summer! But I am observing the taper as I should, since I know that I do need the rest. No matter how you slice it, an Ironman is going to put the hurt to me, and I want some energy in the bank before I start!

I am looking SO forward to seeing my BFF, Shelley, and we are going to enjoy this time together as we each do our last "sanctioned" Ironman, as it will mean the beginning of new things for both of us! And of course, please everyone pray to the LP weather gods for no rain on race day--anything else will be a pure joy, I think!

No comments: