Thursday, February 16, 2006

Musings

I'm sad that a friend has to put her dog down.
I'm sad that Bode Miller got DQ'ed from the Nordic combined.
I'm sad that Chad Hendrick won't be able to get 5 gold medals.
I'm sad that a bunch of people lost their jobs last week where I work.
I'm sad that my mom has discovered yet another health problem that is so far undiagnosed, but that causes her more pain that she claims "is not too bad."
I'm sad that my best confidant coworker is leaving for another company.
I'm sad that I spent another Valentines Day alone.
I'm sad for all the people in the world that have much bigger problems than I do.
I'm sad that certain people can't take a joke and feel compelled to kill others over it.
I'm sad that some people don't know where to draw the line between satire and defamation, and that we can't all agree on where that line is.
I'm sad that people feel compelled to defend however it is they have chosen to live their lives, or even worse, when they forget that they have made a choice.
I'm sad that I sometimes get so wrapped up in this silly sport of triathlon.

I'm happy that I know several incredibly strong, intelligent women.
I'm happy that I know several kind, considerate men.
I'm happy when I see parents happy around their children.
I'm happy that I am basically healthy.
I'm happy that I am fit enough to do the training and racing that I do.
I'm happy that I feel like I've "gotten good" at triathlon and that I may be able to make a living at being a coach.
I'm happy whenever someone asks me for advice or guidance and they really want it.
I'm happy that a few people on this planet seem to benefit from my being here.
I'm happy that the Masters coach was nice enough to ask me if I wanted a stroke tip today, and he gave it in the context of me being a good swimmer.
I'm happy that despite the seeming prevalence of doping, that athletes still aspire to the pinnacle of getting to the Olympics.
I'm happy to watch an athlete winning their Olympic competition and getting all teary-eyed during the medal ceremony.
I'm happy that the days are getting noticeably longer and that before I know it, spring will be here, and I planted about 300 spring-flowering bulbs that should make for quite a show.
I'm happy that I've learned to not take too many things at work personally, even though because of my desire to be treated fairly and to do the best that I can, I still suffer stress reactions to difficult situations.
I'm happy and fortunate that I have the means to do neat things.
I'm happy that the Earth is still basically a beautiful and wonder place to live.
I'm happy that there are still little towns and villages all over the world that haven't "industrialized" or "modernized" too much, and I hope to visit more of them.
I'm happy that we are not all alike.
I'm happy that life can be so wonderful.
I'm happy when people collaborate and cooperate and come up with a good idea that is better than any one person's.
I'm happy that I have so much emotion in me and am unafraid to express it.
I'm happy that I'm more happy than sad!

7 comments:

TriZilla said...

"I'm happy that I'm more happy than sad." That's a beautiful way to be!

I felt the same way today. I escaped work (really had to make myself do it) and went home for my run. It was a short one, but I caught the tail end of the sunset. My thoughts about the proposal, about this crazy life I lead all melted away with the sun. And, I thought... How many people are here enjoying this beautiful scene just like I am?

Comm's said...

From a pyschological standpoint, I am glad that your Happy's out number your Sad's.

I won't pretend to understand why you wrote Musings today, very uncharacteristic of you Sheila, but you left out one more Happy...

"I am happy that I motivate, and slightly intimidate, Commodore to read my long blogs about my triathlon passion."

Crackhead said...

You know, it was the end of my work day and I was just feeling overcome with emotion and I started writing down some things. As I went through it and saw that, yeah, there have been some bad things that happened in the past week, but let's now focus on the GOOD stuff. And it all came out.

And then I thought, hmmm....I'm sure there are those who think that I have nothing but drive and they would be wrong.

Plus, it's just a good mental exercise when you feel things are caving in on you to get it out and then when you see that it really doesn't stack up against all the good stuff, that life is great.

Eric said...

The one that stood out for me was...

I'm happy that a few people on this planet seem to benefit from my being here.

Having a positive impact on just one person makes all the difference. Thanks for the post. It shows the presence of a healthy mind, as well as body.

Brett said...

I'm happy to have "met" you. I think you definitely have a calling as a coach.

Steven said...

Nice post, Sheila. It's nice to see a more "human" side to you and just the machine-like tri-goddess kicking butt at yet another training session or race.
Do more posts like these from time to time.
But don't stop the other stuff! I learn from you and I have more to learn!

Lora said...

I'm happy to "see" all these different sides of you!
Stay warm this weekend!!