Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Training Will Continue Until Fitness Improves

I got through 3 workouts today: a 3400 yard swim, a 1:10 run and :27 strength. That brings me up to 8.5 hours in 3 days!

The swim was a no-op; the water was way too warm for me to swim effectively, so I just made the best of it by swimming with good form.

The run was in 90-degree (96 with heat index) temp with about a bazillion percent humidity. I was supposed to do HIM and 10K intervals, but as soon as I began, I could sense my HR was way up (I don't wear an HRM but I can tell) and that this was going to be tough going. I held myself back as I was supposed to do for 20', and at that point I made a decision to just not slow down. The sun was beating down, but I could tell that when clouds blew over that I felt better. I had brought Gatorade with me, but I made a point to stop and drink copious amounts of water at the two water fountains en route, and also doused my face, arms and back with water, which cooled me off for a few minutes.

To add insult to injury, my legs were a bit fatigued from, well, training like a fucking maniac, and so I had that going for me. But I did my best to not give in to the walking demons. My only trouble came about 6 miles into 8.5 miles, when I had to run "the hill." It's a 1-mile hill, with stair steps taking you progressively steeper. I just dialed things back a bit to prevent myself from needing to walk. Once I finished that, there was a gentle downhill for about 1/2 mile and picked up the pace again.

At the last mile, I decided to try and pick it up since clouds were rolling in, and I was able to reel off a 10K pace mile. All in all, I negative split the run by a little bit, which is good considering the way back was harder, with the 1-mile hill and running into a slight headwind. So I have nothing to feel bad about, really!

I did do a short lay-down around 3:30, and was dozing off when the phone rang--someone from work calling--but this is someone I love working with and I shook off my cobwebs and we did some stuff and I came around, and then a bit later I managed to finish up my strength routine.

I had been thinking about making a trip to Target tonight for some miscellaneous stuff, but at this point, I'm not much good for anything, so I'm going to chill, read the newspaper, watch some TV and call it a night. Hopefully I'll sleep 8 hours again tonight which would be fantastic.

Storms have rolled on through, dropping the temps by 20 degrees, so it's supposed to be nice and cool and low humidity for a few days, which will be really nice. My gardens are appreciating the rain, and I love how it's been raining AFTER I've finished up my workouts! I couldn't ask for more perfect days.

Tomorrow I "only" have to work out for 2.5 hours!!!! Yee-haw! And then Friday is just 1:45, and a little trip up to Wisconsin, where hopefully things will come together for a great 112-mile ride and 6-mile run. If not, well there's that race thing to try it out...

Namaste!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck this weekend in Madison! I wish I was free to join you, but I guess a little MBike action in the Dells will have to surfice. I'm still planning on "sneaking" into the Strauss camp the following-HAHA.....anyway, how big is that 1 mile hill or were you just suffering from being a little delirious? :o)