Friday, August 03, 2007

Wuzzup?


I haven't posted anything in a few days. Why? A little P.I.D.S. (Post Ironman Depression Syndrome) for starters. I never expect this but yet it always happens. Regardless of how jaded I may appear at times about Ironman races, the few weeks before and then the race itself get me pretty amped, and I'm running at my highest octane output, even as I work on getting my head together before the race.

The last 2 weeks before race day come on the heels of many weeks of hardcore training, and at that point, I'm used to a schedule that revolves around the training. My body is primed, my mind is primed, all systems are go, and the race is the rocket launch.

After the race come things that need to be done that I didn't have time to do with all the heavy training, but in truth are things that I don't really want to do anyway, if that makes sense. Like putting my bike back together. At least I have multiple bikes, so there's never any rush to do that! Like clean my house after the bomb explodes from unpacking everything I took with me. Like figuring out what's next. Like having all this time on my hands to think about not much in particular. Like getting back in the groove at work. Like spending time with people I've blown off.

When I really think about it, I'm pretty useless for 2 weeks before, the week of, and about 3 weeks after an Ironman race. I'm just not right, in different ways during those different periods. 2 weeks before, it's tough to focus on anything that isn't related to the race. The week of, well, I think that's why I go a little crazy with racing and non-racing friends and need to create a little mayhem in the process. It takes the edge off of the serious side of me, who is truly serious about training and racing. The week after, I still get to experience the high, if I've had a good race (which I did this time), and I try and focus on resting and just letting things be.

But the next 2 weeks are hellish. The glow has worn off. I have other things to do! I'm even done wearing my finisher's hat, and I honestly don't know why I bought all this other crap. It's not like I got a Kona slot or anything. I've had to sit down with myself and ask myself what is my approach to all of this given my lack of talent and age.

I miss my friends that I got to spend time with in Lake Placid. A LOT. I miss being taken care of. I miss that wonderful place that I get to go during the marathon. I miss that fleeting bliss of crossing the finish line feeling absolutely great. Did anyone see me finish online? There is no link for me to watch my own finish.

Sometimes it's said (Jimmy Cliff) that the harder they come, the harder they fall. I trained my ass off this year. Since 9/18/2006, I've put in 672 hours of training, averaging 14.6 hour per week! That's my highest average ever...although I wasn't planning it that way...it just happened! So no wonder my body is telling me to rest more than I would like.

My pinkie toes on both feet are still numb--I think that's because I forgot I had put extra insoles into my LGL bike shoes and then put the others on top and I wondered why the shoes were so tight, so I probably upset a few muscles. My lower left leg is unhappy, but it's not injured--it's just that my quads are still very messed up from the marathon. All my post-race edema is gone. I wanted to run this week, but it's not in the cards. IMLP was my 2nd marathon this calendar year.

Now, don't any of you write me comments like, "Take it easy, Sheila!!!" Or, "You've earned the rest." Or, "Listen to your body." I know all that and I'm doing all that. Remember, it's all relative. I am taking things one day at a time, knowing that I'll be recovered soon enough (I'm riding 300K in a week, so I better, huh?) and back in my groove.

Breaking stride in my routine is hellacious, but I know it's something that I need to move through, and it's an opportunity for me to practice what I preach about staying in the moment. Is there anything wrong with P.I.D.S.? No. It's a natural process. Am I worried it won't go away? Hell no...lots of great things on the horizon for me.

Oh yeah--my crappy race photos are here. I look like a fucking dweeb. I like the shots that were taken by Rich and Cathy Taylor. MUCH better...

Oh yeah--I forgot. Bitchie is getting carbon, compact cranks and an Ergomo!!! So that means I have an SRM for sale: 170mm cranks, was serviced this year, amateur model. Not sure what my asking price is--make me an offer!

Don't worry--I'm still Crackhead.

3 comments:

Brett said...

I think I still have P.I.D.S. a month and a half later.

Cindy Jo said...

I'm right there with you! Drinking takes the edge off EVERY night, but the days really suck. I can't motivate and I'm already gaining weight.

Maybe we should make a trip south of the border for some Margs, Mexian hotties and RX drugs.

AND NO ONE'S RACE PIX LOOK MORE DWEEBISH THAN MINE!!!

Fe-lady said...

What's it all about...ALFIE?
(Just sign up for something else I guess!)