Saturday, December 10, 2005

Meow






This is the cat suit I wore in yesterday's swim. These photos were taken the day of the infamous "pool rage" incident of 9/7/2005. I was so tan then (sigh). The day started out well enough! You can purchase this suit at Splish. Just don't be caught wearing it on the same day, in the same pool as me! I have a friend who bought several of the same swimsuits that I own, only she does not look as good in them (I am such a bitch, aren't I?), and while imitation can be a form of flattery, she needs to pick her own suits!

Splish makes a whole bunch of cool patterns, and men's jammers can be ordered in them as well. Actually, I need to order 2 or 3 suits. I wear through them rather quickly, so now I only buy polyester suits. The lycra ones, while colorful and all, just stretch out too quickly.

Tips for swimsuit care (my version):

  1. After wearing, rinse suit in clear water.
  2. Wring excess water from suit using HANDS ONLY, i.e., do NOT use the "salad shooter" (my term for the suit spinners). Salad shooters destroy elastic and thin straps and will cause the suit unnecessary stretching.
  3. When you get the suit home, drape it over a laundry tub or towel hanger to drip dry until you plan to wash it.
  4. Wash suit on gentle cycle in a lingerie bag with your other delicates. Don't put the suit in the dryer--hang it over a plastic-coated coat hanger, or in my case, on a tie rack that's nailed to the back of a bathroom door, to air dry. Since I wear 3-5 suits per week, I like having an "organized" area where they can air dry.
  5. Don't wear the same suit 2 days in a row unless it's been washed. I.e., don't wear a suit, rinse it and then wear it again before it's been washed. You can't get all the chlorine out just from rinsing, and wearing a suit while it's still chlorinated just invites trouble.

One of my pet peeves is men who wear the SAME EXACT SUIT DAY IN DAY OUT. I swim 3-5 times a week, and there are regulars, and I am just amazed that guys will wear the same suit all the time! I'm pretty sure they aren't washing the suit every 2 days (which would cause it to wear out all the more quickly), and most of these guys look like they could afford 3 suits at a time. Some of them have nearly see-through butts, which if it was a good butt, hey, I wouldn't mind, but they sure aren't on the Olympic team! Many online and brick and mortar swimsuit retailers have what's called "grab bag," where you can get suits cheap, but you don't get to choose the color or print or style; just the size. It's an economical way to support your swimming habit.

Another online e-tailer that makes good suits is EQ Swimwear. The women's suits are lined all the way down through the butt, so you don't get the "see through butt" thing going once the suit begins to stretch out a bit. The suits are a little pricey, but IMHO worth it. I have a blue metallic suit and also the black leather-look suit--I only bring them out for special occasions, like time trials and days when I'm feeling a little more aggro than normal.

I suppose I should state my preferences on Speedos on men. If you've got the goods, please let us see them! I don't care if you're married, single, straight or gay, a nice body should be on display in the pool (elsewhere, too, but that's a completely different discussion). I get a kick out of being in the same lane with a buff swimmer dude. It makes me smile underwater and also swim a little faster. Gotta look like you know what you're doing in there if you're going to impress a hottie, right?

On the other hand, if you're a guy currently nursing a bit of a gut, try and pick a suit that flatters you the best you can. I suppose the same should be said for women and their suit choices. Me--I'm a shameless hussy, and am perfectly OK being stared at by either the young dudes or the geriatric crowd (and believe me, it's men AND women doing the looking), so I tend to pick suits that, um, "stand out" a little. Some of the older guys will even ask me when I'm going to wear the leopard suit (alas, it's been destroyed and I can't find a replacement) next. As soon as people stop looking, I will know it's time to switch to something more conservative.

7 comments:

Joe B said...

OMG this is soo funny. You will never get guys to wash their suit everyday (unless they are gay- lol).

Hmm. Now that I read this I will need to get another suit. I have the jammer speedo version currently. Don't know if I could pull off anything more revealing.

Brett said...

I was wondering what would be the best way to care for mine, as I just purchased my first of jammers. It's the first time ever that I feel like I look pretty good in them. My belly is finally almost gone ... :)

Bolder said...

ok, i think i broke all 5 of your rules, although i do have 3 jammers in the rotation... but, 1-4 not a chance!

it just occurred to me that i'm wearing jammers, and most guys are wearing speedos.

i think my white pasty skin has finally lost its tan lines from my bike shorts... so, good suggestion on the man speedo thingy.

but, a speedo with biker short tan lines -- that's just wrong!!!!

Roman (everymantriathlon.com) and I were chatting at the TrainingPeaks.com open house, and we also agreed that if you're gonna go Speedo Fastskin -- you better be fast!

tri-portal said...

You say: One of my pet peeves is men who wear the SAME EXACT SUIT DAY IN DAY OUT ... and most of these guys look like they could afford 3 suits at a time.

You sure have a lot of (pet peeves) issues!

I have been involved in working out at the gym, triathlons, etc for about ten years. Some of us are there for the workout. Some of us are not interested in a fashion show. Its not about the money either. Its all about the swimming, runnig, or whatever you are doing! Nothing more, nothing less. Man, if I have to start devoting my energy towards worrying if I wore suit "a" on a certain day and maybe so and so saw me Tuesday in suit 'b' should I wear suit 'c' or maybe its time to buy suit 'd'. And then suit 'd' will make suit 'a', 'b', and 'c' look just terrible. To hell with it, where the hell is my suit that just has 3 holes in it?

About the accessories: I always get a good chuckle at some of the people with all of that equipment they carry to the pool. I have seen people take 5 minutes to pull on all kinds of stuff: heart rate monitors, hand thingys, special water proof wipey boards, special masks, etc. I love people who spend a lot of money and GO SLOW! You cannot buy speed in sports generally. If performance was for sale, everyone on the tour would ride the same bike, golf with the same ball, swim with the same suit, etc.

BTW, You should be glad u don't work out in my gym. Not only do I use the same suit everyday, I have hair on my back and do not shave my legs.

Now quit holding back and tell me how you really feel. :-)

Crackhead said...

Yes, I am pretty vocal about my pet peeves, aren't I? I also laugh at myself whenever I react to things that way. If I ever stop laughing at myself, I'll KNOW I'm in big trouble.

I am one of those people who has a good amount of gear when I go to the gym.

My mesh swim bag has my Workouts in a Binder, my coach's workouts in a Ziploc, Zoomers, paddles, pull buoy and my own kick board (it's a type that puts less torque on my shoulders). I use all the stuff that's in the bag. When I get on deck, it only takes me a minute to take the stuff out of the bag, put my goggles on, and jump in and get going.

My swim workout bag has a spare suit (if for some reason I forget to put one on before I leave home), spare goggles (for me or there have been times when another swimmer forgot theirs and I give the spare ones out), shampoo and conditioner, Q-tips, a spare cap.

When I go to run on the treadmill, my run bag has shoes, Body Glide, a pen and note paper (I think of stuff to do sometimes and have to write it down), tubing (for my post-run stretching), a small baggie of gels (in case I think I need them), a few feminine products (just in case!) and a razor.

My transition bag, that gets taken on long rides where I drive to my starting point, well that's a cornucopia of all kinds of stuff that I might need or someone else might need. It's never failed me!

So maybe I look like one of those poser-types that has all this crap, and maybe I like to look good doing the sports. If that's off-putting to others, not my problem, just as my pet peeves are not someone else's problem--they are ALL MINE!

Pem said...

Any suggestions for finding polyester suits with high neck and bra support?

Crackhead said...

Hey, Pem, sorry I can't advise you there. I have nothing up top! On Google, I found this site--it may have something for you: http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/index.php?mod=Shop&op=list&id=145&pp=29&engine=adwords!3604&keyword=%28polyester+swimsuit%29&match_type=