Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Yesterday's Workouts

I didn't post until this morning because I slept TEN BIG ONES after yesterday's festivities, I was so tired.

10:15AM (well really space out between then and 12PM, work allowing) Lift 1:04. This week I added a set, so I'm doing 3x12. I didn't finish the workout--I've got to finish up bis, delts and lats later this morning. No change in weights, which I dropped last week as part of my periodization and to prepare for adding another set this week. Absolutely no problems, energy-wise, adding the second set. Except a little bit in my legs, surprise, surprise! I guess that little track workout Monday night had a few after effects.

After the workout settled in a bit, I could tell this was a significant workout, as I felt that typical "uggghhhhh" that you get from a solid strength workout. Because of this, I felt it prudent to delay my bike interval workout until later in the day, or else I might risk injury or a sub-par performance. As it is, doing these two workouts on the same day is really not a good idea, but I can't always fit in a swim, run AND strength on Mondays, so the strength rolls into Tuesdays. It's all good. The way I look at it is that I'm building bullet-proof legs.

4:25PM Bike 1:15, 2x20'(2') FT intervals. Can you say lack of power? I did not use any Ultra Violence--too late in the day; the caffeine would keep me awake all night. Even looking at my power during warmup, I could tell this would be tough. But I stuck it out, not being able to hit the same watts as last week, but I still hit 150 and 154, average for the 2 intervals. Not bad given my legs were already toasted from the strength workout!

So you can see why I fell into a blissful, deep sleep last night. I initially awoke at 5:30AM, and thought, heck I can sleep another 30 minutes, but NOOOOOO, I dropped for another hour. I feel very refreshed now, and am heading to the pool shortly.

Bonus: For some reason I weighed myself this morning. I don't weigh myself too much, as I can tell about where I am by how cut I look in the mirror. I maybe weight myself every 2-3 weeks, if I remember or feel like it. But today, I don't know, I was getting dressed, and figured before I put clothes on, may as well head over to the scale. 112!!!! That's my "fighting weight," and I've always thought I'd be even better at 110, but it's tough for me to get there. Assuming I haven't lost any muscle (which I don't see how I could with all the strength, not only weights, but on the bike that I've been doing), I'm estimating that puts me at about 11% bodyfat, the lowest I've ever been, which is where I suspected I had been heading. I may add more weight once I drop my running back in January, but it's sure nice to be heading into a new year lean and mean!

In celebration of having gotten through yesterday's tough workouts (and today is no picnic either--I need to finish up strength, swim 2950 and run 1:05 including tempo work), I'm going to be in a fantastic mood, wear some *pink* things and maybe go to the fabric store to get stuff to make my tutu to wear at Disney.

Have a fantastic day!

7 comments:

Brett said...

Congrats on the body fat percent. Someday mine will be that low, I hope. It is certainly lower now than it has been in a long time, so that's good ... :)

Born To Endure said...

Did you say 110? I hate you!

Crackhead said...

LOL. I'm small....only 5'3". 3 years ago I weighed 128 at 18% bodyfat. That was heavy for me. Today I'm 112 lbs., 11% bodyfat. So over 3 years I've lost 11 lbs. of fat and 5 muscle. Assuming I lose only fat to get to 110, that would put me at 9% bodyfat, so you can see that this may be the impossible dream! 9% is a little too low for a woman, anyway, so really I'm happy just where I am.

My body composition changes have been very gradual, and are a result of reduced food intake, consistent strength training and proper endurance training. If you want it badly enough, you can achieve it. The rest of my family (2 brothers and 2 sisters) is fat to obese, with the exception of my dad, so it's not like I come from good genetics or anything. I've worked very hard to change my own previous bad eating habits.

Now I will tell you, lest you think I'm a freak, that I ate a huge piece of fruitcake (homemade by my sister, soaked in brandy) for dinner. Not my best choice, but still plenty of carbs!

Oldman said...

11% that's awesome!

Bolder said...

don't know if you read my earlier post... i had bought a Tanita Ironman Bodyscan scale, and am interested in power to weight... althought right now, i'm just focusing on weight...

haven't purchased an SRM, or tap yet, but since you've got them, am interested if you are tracking power to weight...

based on what i've been reading about you, i think your results measured in power to weight are probably oustanding.

p.s. read your Chickenman race report the other night shoulda commented -- that was awesome -- look forward to your Goofy report soon too...

Crackhead said...

Of course I track power to weight!

My approximate LT wattage is now 158. At 112 lbs., that makes my power to weight 3.104. If you look that up at http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/images/powerprofile_v3.gif
that puts me in the GOOD category. Yippee!!!!

My goal is to get my LT wattage to 170, which would give me a power to weight ratio of 3.34, which puts me solidly in the GOOD, meaning there might be a chance at me making VERY GOOD in another year, maybe, who knows?

Remember, GOOD on this scale, which is pure cyclists, is pretty good for a triathlete, or so I'm told.

Bolder said...

Sorry Sheila, let me be more specific.

I became fascinated with power to weight after watching a special on Lance Armstrong on the Discovery
Channel: 'The Science of Lance'... everybody is always doggin' my hero Lance about being a doper, yet he reconfigured his body to improve his power to weight by 18% if i remember correctly (i'll check)...

Since you are the only person I know who has a power meter, I was wondering if you knew your power to
weight when you weighed 128lbs at 18%bf, and how it compares to the new leaner you.

take care, bold.