Monday, July 09, 2007

Weekly Workout Totals 07/02/2007-07/08/2007

















But first, some pics. The first is of a Crucible Fitness bomb that went off in my living room today (more on that later). You can also see remnants of my 80's record-spinning incident from last week. The second is things I have received from several friends lately--the garden gnome is from Brett, the wood and tiny bike (now sporting a Crucible Fitness logo as well as skeleton man who has been training as much as me lately--yeah I know his seat is too high) are from my friend William in Texas (the wood is a good luck charm--touch wood), the books are from Cindy, and the Fuel Belt hat and cell phone holder are from Rich. I'm very fortunate to have so many people who are so good to me.

Talk about your steep taper...get a load of this:

Weekly Workout Totals 07/02/2007-07/08/2007
Swim: 12615 yards (7.16 miles) in 4.4 hours; 21% of weekly workout time; approx. 1540 calories burned
Bike: Approx. 196.62 miles in 10.97 hours; 53% of weekly workout time; approx. 5009 calories burned
Run: Approx. 29 miles in 4.51 hours; 22% of weekly workout time; approx. 2032 calories burned
Strength: 0.77 hours; 4% of weekly workout time; approx. 193 calories burned
All Sports: Approx. 232.78 miles in 20.65 hours; approx. 8774 calories burned
Sleep: 6.71 hours avg./night
Stretching: 1.2 hours. Massage: 0 hours

Funny thing is, I had planned on swimming 16,000 yards...oh well. Not much sleep, not much stretching, no massage, but I survived, and now I am having trouble sitting still. So I've got clearance to swim every day this week, and as long as it's nice weather, it will be at the outdoor pool, where, believe it or not, Rich actually swam today. He alluded to wanting to do it yesterday while we were driving home from Madison, but I figured I wouldn't hold it to him until about :45 before we'd need to leave this morning. First I got the "I don't have goggles" deflection. That was pretty weak. I have a bag full of different varieties, so I came to the rescue and he found a pair that fit. I grabbed towels and fluids, and we were off. I had to share a lane with crazy breaststroke lady and some other not-so-good swimmers, but since it was already pretty hot by 8AM, the pool felt really great (and they don't charge the early swimmers!).

After swimming, we got the identical breakfast (Denver omelettes, English muffins, coffee), then we packed and labeled a bunch of Crucible Fitness gear to be sent to athletes all over the place. Rich thought he was missing a shipment, and at the same time I was dealing with the company who had cleaned my drapes and installed new shades. He on the cell phone not too happy with a company, and me on my house phone not too happy with another one. Both incidents turned out well, though, since Rich discovered he wasn't actually missing inventory, and my company made good on coming out to reclean the cornices that became fingerprinted while the shades were being installed.

I know you think this is a load of crap that I'm talking about right now, but hey, I'm tapering, so fuck off. Oops--I meant, please don't get on my case. Or maybe I meant please be understanding, as I'm a veritable lunatic right now and I'm not responsible for my actions or vocalizations. Or maybe I meant gee, I wish you could be nicer to me, since I'm experiencing a tiny bit of stress right now. Somehow fuck off is just easier to say.

Anyway, I've just jumped off the training peak and am cascading down into the valley of the taper, and crazy things happen while I'm falling, only to hit rock bottom and then begin the precipitous climb back to the top of the other side. It's been really fun being on top of the mountain for the past 12 weeks, and soon enough I'll begin my journey back to the top. I know that along the way I'll see many friends, training partners and other sources of encouragement. Will I make it? I hope so. Will I climb fast? We will see what the day brings. How will I feel back at the top? REALLY HAPPY!

3 comments:

Cindy Jo said...

I hate tapering, too. Mix in fatigue, a bike crash (minor), selfish/crazy family members, alcohol & a birthday party/holiday and I was a raging bitch last week!

I hope you like the books. Sorry it took me so long to send it. I read the running one & knew you would like it. The other one caught my eye and I immediately thought of you. Plenty of time to read now, eh?

Brett said...

Glad you got the gnome. I hope you like it! Good luck with the taper. Looks like you are already bouncing off the ceiling. :)

effendi said...

hehe - nice gnome! Enjoy your taper - you've earned it