Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Beat Goes On

I did not ride a bike to my massage on Monday night. When the time rolled around, my legs said FUCK NO, so I drove. I told the girls working on me that I needed every muscle that is involved in swimming, biking, running or lifting worked on, and they got a good laugh out of that.

I swam 3400 meters yesterday, and for some reason (as happens occasionally), I felt compelled to offer swim tips to some guy swimming in my lane. I don't remember what I showed him yesterday, but he asked if I was swimming Wednesday (today), and I said sure.

Well, I really didn't need to swim today, but the weather is just gorgeous, I'm usually up between 4:30-5:00AM and what else am I going to do early on a beautiful day? Swim at the outdoor pool, that's what. Wednesdays are garbage/recycleables day, but I took my sweet time this morning getting things out, since I was only going to swim maybe :45. Also, I woke up a little late--4:45--and I'm taking Thursday off, and am just trying to be a little relaxed.

I knew I didn't need to bike at all today (I'm supposed to not bike or run today), but a little 10-something miles to/from the pool can't hurt, right? While I was dealing with the recycleables, I noticed it was already pretty warm, so I decided to not wear a shirt over my swimsuit for the ride over.

What a beautiful morning! And when I got to the pool, the guy (Kevin) I had seen yesterday was there with his 2 friends, and they said they were done, but I said I had time to show them some stuff, so we did some easy drill work, and then we talked about email, and I asked what they all do and they are all police officers in the area. Of course, my immediate reaction was to think whether I had done anything illegal lately, and other than looking the part of the town whore because I stopped wearing bike shorts and roll my run shorts down as low as I can, I think I'm good with the law.

The 3 guys are all doing a triathlon or two, and I'd be more than happy to help them out with swimming, a training plan, or whatever. I was duly impressed because one of them found my blog with only my first name! Well, an officer should be a good stalker, right? Anyway, I added a link to Lou's blog over in my "peeps I've met" area on top--Trinity Training Group. Man, there's some hardcore stuff going on over there! I could tell Lou is really fit (yeah I notice that stuff when guys are pretty much naked in front of me), and I love hanging with fit people, so I am guessing there are some things he can teach me, too.

I ended up swimming just 1500 meters, which was plenty, said hi to my friend Chuck the slacker who showed up to swim at 8:00 when I was on my way home, and rode home in beautiful weather.

I might do an easy strength workout later today or at least abs/core, since I do need to keep that up even during taper, which I'm almost full in now.

My main man, Aaron Peirsol, set a new WR in the 100 back last night, and that added to my good spirits of late.

I can't think of anything wrong with my life right now except I have a few more big training days (Thursday, Friday and Sunday) to go and then it's all downhill from there! Right about now I am feeling like I really need the taper but also don't want to do it. But this time around I know that as long as I can go and flop around in the outdoor pool every day (which I plan on doing next week), that should keep me feeling like I'm doing something.

Happy training everyone and hope you enjoy your Fourth of July weekend!

No comments: