Thursday, July 03, 2008

Remembering Who You Are and Learning All Over Again





















I was cruising through some of my older posts, and I am always surprised at the continuity of thought that I see in myself, albeit peppered with current events in my life. I think that part of the enlightenment process is coming to a deep, deep understanding of what and who you are so that you can let go of it! Until that has happened, though, I fully intend to live the hell out of life in my own Crackheaded way.

Here's a post of mine that pretty much sums me up (just read the last part in bold italics). And now I would like to add to that (props to Brett who pointed this out on his blog) the Stotan philosophy of Percy Cerutty. When I read this, I thought, "Yep, that's me in a nutshell."

Some people, I'm sure, when they first come to my blog, don't know what the hell to think--is this woman nuts or what? Some pick up a hardcore vibe, some my little bit of rough around the edges. I've always said I'm a doer. There are many things I like to do, but I have this overriding drive to perfect my mind and body. I'm a slacker in some ways, though, since I'm not really that stoic when it comes to my diet or some aspects of cleanliness (my house, that is). I could do way better. But I think that is my personal stamp on Stotanism, and I always know that at any time I can flip that switch and go into 100% undiluted, puritanical, get-the-fuck-outta-my-face Crackheadedness.

My overriding personal principle is integrity:

Main Entry:
in·teg·ri·ty Listen to the pronunciation of integrity
Pronunciation:
\in-ˈte-grə-tē\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire
Date:
14th century
1: firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility
2
: an unimpaired condition : soundness
3
: the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness

To me, integrity is being true to myself. Of course, in order to do that, I need to know who I am! And I think I've got that covered. Integrity requires a great deal of consciousness. I could relate many stories of the past 8 months where my integrity came shining through, but some of that is way too personal to discuss here. Suffice it to say, that whether I'm happy or sad, strong or weak, I know it.

And now back to that Stotan thing. I really enjoy meeting others who are Stotans--those who cultivate their bodies for the sake of cultivating their bodies. My chosen method happens to be Ironman training and racing right now, but before that it was bodybuilding, and as long as I am physically able, I will keep pushing my body to perform well for me and look good. I recall on a training ride earlier this year that the people I was with are definitely Stotans, and I remarked to them, "Do I attract people like this?" And the answer is YES. Stotans attract other Stotans. We are also happy to encourage non-Stotans to become like us, because, well, what's wrong with that? When someone says to me, "I could never do that," my response is always, "Don't say you can't--say you choose not to." Stotanism is not for everyone--but it is for me!

I also think Stotanism can be summed up in one word: HTFU!

Watch this while you read. You knew it was coming!

_______________________________________________________
The Stotan Code
Percy Cerutty
‘Maker of Champions’

A Stotan is one who hardens, strengthens, toughens and beautifies the body by consistent habits and regular exercises, which are consciously and irrevocably made part of the life plan of the individual, as well as consciously determining that the mind will be cultivated upon such abstractions as purity, beauty and logic. Erudition, in as complete a degree as possible shall be the lifelong aim: Truth, in relation to all aspects of life, the unending search.

Stotans will, by virtue of their philosophy, be nature lovers, with a respect and appreciation of all evolved or created things. They will appreciate the sanctity of creative effort both in themselves and in others. They will strive to understand the significance implied by reality, will be able to discern the real from the spurious, and see no anomaly in nudity, either in body or mind. But neither will they cast pearls before swine.

Stotans, for all the reasons that their philosophy stands for (viz: hardness, toughness, unswerving devotion to an ideal), would look upon the sea (or mountains) as their pristine element and endeavour to associate themselves with their primeval source by immersing themselves at least once per month in all seasons of the year. No practice is disposed to toughen, both the body and the morale, more than this.

Stotans believe that neither the body nor the mind can be maintained at a high pitch of efficiency unless sufficient and regular rest is obtained, and aim at a daily average of of 8 hours sleep. Stotans, also, will not be found in social places after midnight. Stotans shall so regulate their lives that at the end of a period, varying with the intensity of effort, each shall realize that they have attained, without conscious striving, to a state of knowledge, and a position of leadership within the community. It is axiomatic that only the pure can understand purity, only the cultivated appreciate beauty, and only the strong truly measure their strength. Therefore, only the self-disciplined can command genuine respect.

A program shall be aimed at which shall be designed to [train each Stotan]:-

(a)… to withstand physical hardship, to accomplish feats of strength and endurance, to understand orderliness, and the true meaning of intelligence.

(b) To know himself as an organism and a personality

(c) To emerge, eventually emancipated, from all dogmas, creeds, and beliefs, as well as worldly and unworldly hopes and fears.

(d) To habitually function upon the highest planes of thought and physical effort.

(e) To place the objective of an alert, informed intelligence, and a perfected body, as primary in Life. And to arrive at the conclusion that all else will follow on.

(f) To learn that on this basis, the whole world, and all that it has to offer, opens out as a vision, splendid, normal and realizable.

(g) To understand that Past, Futures, Fates, Fears, Death, Selfishness, Egoism, Pride, Envy, Hate and Prejudice can be replaced by Intelligence that controls emotion, dominates destiny, manifests completeness and exults in Life.

(h) To understand that, in actuality, evolved man is a King, but without the trappings. That Kingship is his right and his destiny. That we can make ourselves, in time, all that we would. That we honour real men but are subservient to none.

In addition, Stotans shall train themselves to withstand, stoically, personal criticism, also, scepticism as the necessity or wisdom of such a Way of Life. In this regard, Stotans soon learn that they command knowledge, experience and ability not available to the prejudiced, the ignorant or the slothful.

Also, having embarked upon the Stotan Way of Life, like the Spartans, one must go through with it to the end. There is no giving up throughout life. The first pre-requisite for a Stotan is tenacity. The next is to understand that his loyalties are towards making the most of the material that is his, to the expansion, or at least the manifestation of the Life Force, and a constant identification of himself with his Life Force through his Way of Life.

To live this Way of Life is hard. It is not for weaklings. It is the Way that is travelled by all the truly great ones. It requires strenuous effort of body and mind. *********************************

The passage above is taken from the Graem Sims biography of Percy Cerutty, entitled “Why Die”. It is one of my favourite reads.

3 comments:

Brett said...

Here's to Stotans! I've got to find that book!

triguyjt said...

I have had you pegged as "driven with a purpose to achieve physical performance at a high level, with attention to tasks of extreme hardship"

I was really not familiar that much with stotan..but I guess that says it.....

Michelle said...

I look back at certain periods of my life and think, "wow, i really didn't know myself then." I hope one day I can look back and know I knew myself, and lived in accordance with that knowledge.