Friday, November 18, 2005

Yesterday's Workouts

Sorry, I ran out of time--well, really ENERGY--to do this yesterday, as work was just crazy. I went from one conference call to the next, but at least I got some public kudos about my work. Although it was funny, during this huge, departmental web presentation, I was referred to as "Lisa." I believe it was a dyslexic moment on the part of the speaker, where he combined my boss's first name with my last name. It didn't phase me, but she PM'ed me and said she was sorry! I replied that it was no big deal. After all, people who know me know me, and I was PM'ed by several people in congratulations.

7:30AM Strength, abs and core only, 29'. When I woke up yesterday I felt stiff and tense, but as I began to move around, I didn't feel so bad, and then this workout got things back on track. Although afterwards, I felt like I had done a major workout! And then the madness of the work day began.

Luckily, I had put time on my work calendar to get my second workout in--if I hadn't, no way would I have got to it, since someone would have scheduled me something during that time. After call #1, I had to hop to and update a spreadsheet to the best of my abilities, and the information needed to be passed along to someone else to add even more information, and the whole thing needed to be delivered by end of day. I was hoping that my morning additions would be all that I was accountable for, but I didn't know. Basically, I finished my contribution, and then did my next workout.

11:12AM Bike 1:20 on trainer. Same fucking workout as on Tuesday. I had known I probably needed to dump the SRM data and charge it, but I hadn't, and sure enough during my second FT interval the thing began to act flaky, so that was that. Part of me just wanted to stop the workout, or else ride easy for the remainder, but NOOOOOOOO, I'm not that sort of girl, so I pressed on, using only my heart rate to guide my effort level. The rest of the workout sucked just as badly as if I had power to go by, and my heart rates seemed to be in line. No matter, I certainly went hard enough, considering I'm doing a 1/2 Ironman on Saturday.

After the workout, I went right into my next call, which I didn't know was happening until a colleague asked me if I was dialing in. Thank goodness for friends! And this was the call where I was publicly thanked for doing such a good job on this messy situation which has been going on since last week. Can I please see some CASH if I'm so fucking good???? Gosh, that would be nice. On a positive note, my boss's new boss is someone I highly respect, although I have no clue about his abilities as a manager, but I think he will be great. And we've worked together before, so he knows how I operate. So this could be a really good thing. Who knows? I can't predict the future!

Then I went into my next crisis call, where we firmed up that I had no further commitment to finding out any more information for the infamous spreadsheet. THANK GOD!!! Because I needed to next go and get a massage and then come back for ONE FINAL CALL of the day.

The massage was, as always, great. Given by Cindy. She knows my body really well. I was amazed that for all the hard training I've been doing that when she got in there deeply into the muscles, they felt really good--nice and supple, no trigger points except the usual ones in my upper shoulders which are just stress-related. Even my right hamstring, which has been truculent in the past 6 weeks, has worked itself out. I think this is due to running more on the treadmill, so there is no lopsidedness as I experience when running on the roads. Don't get me wrong--I HATE the fucking treadmill as much as the next guy, but it's good for me to run on it through the winter precisely because it allows my body to get into better alignment.

I keep looking at my workouts this year as compared to last year. I feel like I'm working harder--either that or I'm just getting old! Actually, I think I'm just attacking things with more intensity than ever, and each fall I forget how extra tired the strength workouts make me.

I am SO looking forward to ONLY ONE WORKOUT on Friday, and then my 1/2 Ironman race on Saturday!

No comments: