Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Unbearable Lightness of Being or You Never Know Unless You Try

Big Brick Workout executed! I felt tired (fatigued and emotionally drained) when I started, my legs hurt during the bike workout, but I felt great on the run and even ran a little longer than I needed to.

The bike workout hurt, and then it hurt some more, and then it hurt a real lot like this:

Warmup: 40' @ 65-70%
Main Set: 60' @ 80-85%, 5' @ 65-70%,
40' @ 88-90%, 10' @ 65-70%,
20' @ FT (95-100%)
Cooldown: 6' easy

Stats for the ride (done on the trainer):
Time: 3:01
kcal: 1801
TSS: 205
NP: 166 (my FT on LGL is 205, so that's IF=.81)
Distance: 58.5 miles
Pace: 19.4MPH

Not bad, considering there was 51' of pretty easy in there. I took about 5' to change into dry clothes to run in and headed out into a temp of about 47, wearing shorts and a short sleeved technical top only. I was pretty cool at first, especially running into the NE breeze, but it was pretty ideal running temperature actually. As is usually the case in these runs after 3+ hour rides, I felt like I was moving in slow motion, especially since I have to climb a 1/4 mile hill right from my house. It's not very steep, but it ain't flat, but I don't really mind it because it means I get to zoom down it on my way back in.

I couldn't believe how good my legs felt running considering how crappy I felt when I woke up and how I really had to push myself on the bike (that was my best power output and mileage in a 3-hour trainer ride so far this year) and considering that I'd already run close to 30 miles (I ran Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday) for the week. I figured it was just a matter of time before I experienced brick suck, but it never happened. In fact, as I kept going, I felt better and better. Some of it, no doubt, was due to my HARDEN THE FUCK UP bracelet that I have begun wearing for key workouts like my long run on Thursday and then today again. But I even managed to crack a smile despite my mental anguish because how can you not feel good when a run like this feels good? I know that dropping those few pounds really helped, bright sunshine helped, good nutrition on the bike helped, and then I guess maybe I'm becoming pretty fit again? I thought today that maybe I'm even ready for a decent 1/2 Ironman, which is good since Triple T is in only 7 weeks. My average run pace was 8:45 for 4.8 miles, which would be an awesome 1/2 Ironman run pace for me, but the reality is that I should be able to ride harder and faster and still pull off that pace, so I have a few weeks more to achieve that sort of fitness, and I'm pretty optimistic that it is going to come to me. All I need is a few weeks of 4+ hour rides and 2-hour long runs and I will be good to go.

I'm really excited that in 4 weeks I have a big week of biking planned (200+ miles) and the week after that a big week of running (about 45 miles). If I can stay on top of my training until then and then execute those 2 weeks, I'll be ready for...well I'll be ready for an Ironman, won't I?

Right now I'm wearing my compression tights, and basking in the afterglow of a pretty fucking good workout, and next I'm going to have a beer, lay down for just a few minutes, and then head off to see my nephew in a play. After that, it's off my feet and we'll see if I can get up and do it again tomorrow! Tomorrow's plan includes a 30-minute Crossfit-type blast (if I feel up to it--this is optional), a 2:15 trainer ride (yes on the trainer the weather is going to be shitty), and a 20-30' recovery swim.

I may return to my stressed-out-edness later today, but for now, life is good. This is why I do this.

3 comments:

Push_10_Gs said...

Great book by the way. I learned when to shampoo my hair from that book!

Tri Mom said...

Job well done Crackhead! Thanks for the continued inspiration you provide here! With that said I have my compression socks on, and I am headed to crack a beer! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

maryka said...

Hey where can I get one of those HTFU bracelets? I could use something to remind me to do that when I'm in the middle of a hard workout or race... :)