Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2005 Recap

I don't typically track my training on a calendar basis--I'm more interested in a training season; but a calendar year is a point of measurement as well, so here goes:

Workouts
Swim: 492,871 yards in 172.29 hours, or 22.8% of total workout time (avg. 3.31 hours/week)
Bike: 307.09 hours (approx. 5,374 miles), or 40.6% of total workout time (avg. 5.9 hours/week)
Run: 222.82 hours (approx. 1,404 miles), or 29.5% of total workout time (avg. 4.29 hours/week)
Strength: 53.81 hours, or 7.1% of total workout time (avg. 1.03 hours/week)
Total Hours: 756.01 (avg. 14.54 hours/week)

Training Time: I can't even begin to compute all the time I spent doing things in support of the workouts, including but not limited to: weekly massage, health checkups, nutrition tweaking and body composition maintenance, bottle preparation and washing (!!!!), event planning, travel time to/from training venues and racing, education, mentoring others in the sport, resting.

Injury Report: I suffered bilateral bursitis of the ischial tuberosities in April, eventually finding out I had (probably still have) a herniated disk, but through my own research and tenacity, returned to running after a 2-week layoff. As a result, I modified my stretching program (I now actually have one) and my strength program (stepped up the core workouts and work on hip rotators).

Joy Division: I can't even begin to describe the sheer enjoyment I experienced in 2005, stemming from pushing myself to higher intensities of training, helping along several athletes towards their first Ironman, meeting new people and I suppose earning a few PR's along the way.

Mental Factor: Having struggled through some personal issues this fall and initiated permanent changes as a result, I now feel well-prepared to capitalize on the physical and mental strength built during 2005.

Actual Results:
Marathon PR 10/2 (the one I'm proudest of--run by myself)
10K PR (2 weeks after the marathon PR)
5K PR (not by much, but I'll take it) on Thanksgiving Day
Sprint PR (was just out to have fun, results are fun, too!) at Galena Triathlon in May
1/2 Ironman: 2nd worst time ever in 100+ degree temps. Still had fun!
Ironman: DNF'ed at Wisconsin

All in all, it was a wonderful year, and 2006 is starting off with a bang this coming weekend at the Goofy Challenge. In mid-March, it's off to Ralph's 1/2 Ironman for some fun (it will be interesting to do a 1/2 IM with all my bike training done INDOORS!), then an epic training weekend with Shelley at the end of March. In May I'm heading to Ironman Brazil; 3 weeks later in June my 3rd (and hopefully fastest) attempt at Horribly Hilly Hundreds 200K; a week later some riding, spectating and cheering at IMCDA; then a long stretch of training with a 1/2 Ironman thrown in prior to Ironman Florida. No doubt I'll throw in 1 or 2 more epic training events just to keep things interesting.

At the end of the day/week/year, all I can ever ask for is my health and mental well-being. As much as I like to plan and set goals, I also know that being right here right now in this moment is where it's at. And on that note, back to work I must go!

3 comments:

Bolder said...

I've learned mucho from you in your short time in 2005 as a TRIblogger, so I wanted to say thank you again... in addition to your totals, i'm sure blogging would add up too...

I was thinking about you on the plane ride home yesterday, a friend of mine is a motivational speaker, and she asked me to critique a chapter she wrote... she highlights an example of two basketball teams that were asked to maximize the number of balls sunk shooting in an hour... one team physically practiced, the other sat on the sidelines and visualized sinking baskets... guess who sunk more?

i'm following your lead on stretching and weight lifting, and starting to work on the mental side of it... i'm going to write a post on the mental side soon.

Comm's said...

thanks for putting those numbers up. I understand they are more for us than for you. It motivating.

Lora said...

Fascinating to read your recap. You are inspiring Girl!! Keep it going!! You've taught me lots. Thanks for that.