Monday, July 24, 2006

Weekly Totals 07/17/2006-07/23/2006 and Spirit of Racine ½ Ironman Race Report

First, the race report.

Did I taper? No.
Did I suffer? Not really. My definition of suffering has changed dramatically since Brazil.
Am I happy with how I raced? I’m OK with it, considering lack of taper.

I had a glimpse that my biking legs were back on Thursday. My watts were up, and it felt easy to generate them. So I figured on a decent bike split in the race. How about my run legs? I have been nailing some rather difficult workouts, but again, I’m not sure what I did Wednesday was appropriate for a taper workout:
WU: 10' Easy, 6 x Strides, 5' Steady with excellent form MS: 4', 6', 10', 6', 4' @ 5k pace with 1' Steady between each. CD; 10' Steady

Do that workout sometime. It will kick your ass and take names!

What about my swimming? I suck. Well, I suck in certain open water venues. In normal lakes I am fine.

So how did the race play out?

The weather was absolutely beautiful. Mid-70’s, perhaps low 80’s, it was hard to tell. Lake Michigan looked fairly calm, but as I am learning, looks can be deceiving. Swimming straight out against the waves, I just couldn’t get it together, so I did a lot of breaststroke. But once we turned to swim parallel to shore, I was fine, and passed a bunch of people. So I probably lost 5’ due to my inability to swim through the first set of waves. But the water temperature was perfect, about 68. I did swallow a little bit of it, but mostly I think I got a pretty good nose enema. I took my wetsuit off in the water, and took too long doing it. Oh well, this wasn’t an “A” race for me.

There’s a long run through the sand back to transition, and you really feel it in your calves. Part of you says, “RUN RUN RUN” because you are in a race, and other part says, “But I just can’t go that fast.” I’m pretty good at transition runs, and I don’t know where they started and stopped the timing, but I just kept going and got to my bike, got my stuff on and away I went.

I committed to my coach’s ½ Ironman wattage guidance for this ride, which meant for the first ½ hour I was to ride easy. As it turns out, I didn’t ride easy enough, but still I held back big time. Which really sucked as we sort of had a tailwind out of town and it was nice and cool. Oh, well, there will be plenty of time to ride fast. I didn’t drink anything until I was 10’ into the ride, either, which is always a good plan to let your stomach settle as you get back to using your legs.

After 30’, I was able to dial up the watts. There were plenty of riders around, so it was very motivating to keep up a good pace. There were numerous draft packs of men. Every time one would go by, I couldn’t help it but I would curse a blue streak at them. F’ing cheaters! I am sure none of these guys was going to win the entire race today, so I really don’t understand why they blatantly cheat. But there was one point where 2 guys went by me, and it was clear they were working together, and a draft marshall came up right behind them and I saw that numbers were being written down. So some justice was served! As the course was quite congested, I knew it was impossible to catch all the drafters, but at least a few of them hopefully learned a lesson.

I definitely felt like I was working on the bike, even with the good conditions. We did have some wind, but I’m not sure how much there was. I just pushed and pushed and periodically looked at the power meter to be sure I was in the right range. It looked good. When I got to transition, I saw the final number, 2:46. Not bad. THAT was a PR for a ½ Ironman, but then again, everyone was riding fast. Turns out my bike split was #2 in my age group.

And now, the run. I didn’t feel bad when I left T2, and felt like I had a decent pace going, but my legs felt heavy. Not “I rode the bike too fast” heavy, but “maybe I’ve been training a lot and my run legs really aren’t recovered from Ironman Brazil heavy.” Considering I had just witnessed the return of my bike legs on Thursday, it seemed reasonable to me that my running legs weren’t quite back. That’s OK. I didn’t walk except a little at aid stations, and I just kept continuously looping some song in my head and kept going. I didn’t really feel bad (except for the rock in my left shoe, but no way I was going to stop and take it out), I wasn’t suffering, I just didn’t have much “oomph” to my legs. There were a number of racers who recognized me and would call out my name before I saw them. I must have a distinctive physique. I joked to one guy I ran with for a few miles that they must recognize my butt! For the most part, I had a smile on my face the entire run.

I ended up 5th in my age group out of 18, at 5:48. There were some really fast ladies on the day! So no podium slot. That’s OK. It was a good workout, my 3rd triathlon in 6 weeks (or should I say 4th in 8 weeks?) on top of some serious training, so I really can’t complain. I see some younger athletes doing this sort of stuff and they are able to bang out good performances while racing frequently, but it’s just not in these old bones. Still, I am very fortunate to be healthy and able enough to do this stuff. I like knowing that I can show up at a ½ Ironman on no taper and put in my 2nd fastest time at the age of 49. I am not sure whether I can get faster at this point or how long I will keep this up. I grumble at every race, “Why do I keep doing this????”

My legs were quite sore when I finished the race and the entire way driving home (about 1.5 hours). I was rolling around in my head what I wanted to eat, and I was going to go home first and make the disaster area in my house after unloading my car, but I was going to pass up a restaurant I like very much on the way home, and I figured I had better go eat before going home. After the race, they had run out of the (probably bad) pasta and all that was left was potato chips, bananas and pretzels. I had a handful of chips, drank my Endurox R4 and hit the road rather than wait for bad food to show up.

I stopped at Country House with my blood sugar just about to plummet. My waitress could tell I was hungry probably from the wild eyes I had. She was smart and asked if I was ready to order right away, and I was. A big, tall Weiss beer, an ostrich burger medium rare with Cheddar cheese, and onion rings. The beer arrived pretty quickly, and that got some carbs down me (after I drank a full glass of water, of course). When the food arrived, I lovingly salted the hell out of the onion rings, made a nice pool of ketchup on the plate for them, put some ketchup and tomatoes on the burger, topped it off and cut if in half. That first bite of burger was nirvana! I absolutely love tomatoes or anything to do with tomatoes. Tomatoes and ketchup is like heaven to me! I took my time eating, as despite my appetite, I have a rather small stomach. In fact, a table next to me arrived after me, got their order and finished it before I was done eating! I removed the breading from most of the onion rings and just dipped them into the ketchup. I also LOVE onions. Not raw—but sautéed or grilled I can eat piles of them. Since I figured I wasn’t going to want to cook later on or eat another entire meal, I got 2 slices of lemon merinque pie to go for later. I polished them off about 2 hours after I got home. Not your best pie, but it hit the spot anyway.

I slept fitfully, as my core temperature remained high from the race, and my legs were sore. Today I feel like I am coming around and may go for a swim later just to loosen up my legs a bit.

Oh, and I just registered for Ironman Lake Placid 2007. For my occupation, I listed, “Idiot.”

Here’s what happened last week:

Weekly Totals 07/17/2006-07/23/2006
Swim:
11600 yards (6.58 miles) in 4.02 hours; 26% of weekly workout time; approx. 1455 calories burned
Bike: Approx. 112 miles in 5.9 hours; 39% of weekly workout time; approx. 3025 calories burned
Run: Approx. 30.63 miles in 4.8 hours; 32% of weekly workout time; approx. 2626 calories burned
Strength: 0.47 hours; 3% of weekly workout time; approx. 118 calories burned
All Sports: Approx. 149.21 miles in 15.19 hours; approx. 7224 calories burned
Sleep: 9.11 hours avg./night
Stretching: 1.57 hours

Season Totals 09/12/2005-07/23/2006
Swim:
379785 yards (215.54 miles) in 133.67 hours
Bike: Approx. 4166.69 miles in 238.6 hours
Run: Approx. 1266.04 miles in 199.09 hours
Strength: 63.77 hours
All Sports: Approx. 5648.27 miles in 635.13 hours; approx. 282521 calories burned
Stretching: 69.91 hours

Season Weekly Averages 09/12/2005-07/23/2006
Swim:
8440 yards (4.79 miles) in 2.97 hours
Bike: Approx. 92.59 miles in 5.3 hours
Run: Approx. 28.13 miles in 4.42 hours
Strength: 1.42 hours
All Sports: Approx. 125.52 miles in 14.11 hours
Sleep: 8.49 hours avg./night
Stretching: 2 hours avg./week

Goals from Last Week:

  • Stretch a bit more. NOT!
  • Get my head in the game for a long race on Sunday. Wow, am I really ready for a 1/2 Ironman? DONE. Well, my bike legs were ready, but apparently not my run legs.
  • Other than today, since I'm catching up on calories from yesterday still, watch the eating as I am doing a little taper for Sunday's race. DONE.



Accomplishments This Week:

  • Triathlon #53 is in the books. 2nd fastest ½ Ironman at the age of 49, almost 50. I’ll take it!
  • Got a lot of sleep. I think I’ve been training a lot!


Goals for Next Week:

  • Stretch more!
  • Recover.
  • Ride 100 miles on Sunday at a good clip.
  • Sleep.
  • Have fun.

1 comment:

Comm's said...

I thought I was the only one whose core temp was sky high after a hard race or training event. Nice to know its not just me