Saturday, July 26, 2008

42 Days Until NothingMan

Blink--you better get back to training!

I got back on the horse, so to speak, on Thursday, doing a short swim just to see how things felt. They felt pretty good, so on Friday, I biked to the outdoor pool and swam, and then later I did an abs/core workout, which also felt good, just because I think it helps to rebalance muscles that get out of whack during an Ironman. I also got a massage that was well-needed.

Today was a great day. I slept like a baby, including having weird Ironman dreams--I know there was a wristband involved--and woke up and got going on some paperwork. Not my usual Saturday morning! I went to the farmer's market and got some good stuff, but still no Illinois tomatoes! Today's tomatoes are from Kentucky. Man--I hope they are good! I wasn't too impressed with either the Canadian or Arkansas tomatoes. To me, Michigan and Illinois have the absolute best!

Of course, whenever I get the chance, I am putting things away and cleaning up, even beyond how I left my house before I left for Lake Placid. A lot of things went there with me, and I'd say about 75% of them have been put away.

A little before 11:00, I went to swim at the outdoor pool. Heaven! Swimming there in the sun was divine, and they left up a couple of lanes after the 1-hour designated lap swim time. Even though I'm still up about 5 lbs. (my massage therapist commented on my swollen lower abs, for example), um...I'm still fairly buff, and when the "regulars" showed up at noon, I got quite a few looks. Plus, I'm getting my deep, dark tan. I am going to repeat this tomorrow! Even if I can't swim for shit right now!

In other news, I fixed fucking bottles today. Time to get back on the training horse to get ready for NothingMan. I'm totally pumped about NothingMan, as I know it will be 100% intense, crazy fun. Doesn't that sound strange talking about an Ironman? Oh, by the way, we are doing 2.5/115/27. Just so we can say we did over an Ironman. Someone was trying to get me to commit to 3/120/30, but sorry, not this time! Maybe in 2009, who knows?

Tomorrow I only need to ride easy for 2 hours, so I'm going to try that out and then head back to the outdoor pool to work on my tan--I may or may not actually swim! Isn't that a hoot? Today while swimming, I was thinking how fortunate the people are who can actually spend time just laying in the sun! But hey, even though that's not my normal M.O., I totally understand it. I expect that I will tire of "regular life" in a few days here...already I notice my body is out of whack from a lack of exercise.

I'm working on my schedule for 2008-2009 season, and for you inquiring minds out there, here's what appears to be on tap after NothingMan (which is 9/13, FYI...anyone who wants to come and spectate, volunteer or do some or all of it is welcome at my house):
  • 11/9/2008: 1/2 NothingMan. Probably will be all indoors.
  • 11/27/2o08 (Thanksgiving Day): 5K race (local) followed by a bike and FOOD!
  • 2/14/2009: Myrtle Beach Marathon (attempting to qualify for Boston)
  • 3/6/2009: sprint NothingMan
  • 3/7/2009: 1/2 NothingMan
  • 3/27/2009: sprint NothingMan
  • 3/28/2009: Double or NothingMan (2 Oly's back to back)
  • 4/17-4/19/2009: Triple Dog Dare (sprint Friday; Oly Saturday; 1/2 IM Sunday)
  • 4/27-5/3/2009: Big Bike Week (as much biking as I can handle--I may travel someplace else for this, who knows?)
  • 5/4/2009-5/10/2009: Big Run Week (about 45 miles or so of running and lots of swimming)
  • 5/21-5/23/2009: Triple T (solo)
  • 6/20/2009: Horribly Hilly Hundreds 200K ride
  • 7/26/2009: Ironman USA (4th time)
I dunno--does that look like a tough schedule? The only tough part is that I will be doing the "traditional" long run schedule for an intermediate marathon runner for the Myrtle Beach Marathon, and the schedule I'm using has 2 18-milers, 3 20-milers and a 22-miler in there. I'm counting on the base I've developed over the past 8 years to allow me to do a decent amount of swim and bike training while pounding out those big long runs. I probably won't change up my weekday running that much, because just by going the really long distances on Sundays, I'll be punching up my run mileage a lot.

There--I said it. That is what I'm going to try and do. As far as my current season goes, so yeah, IMLP was more or less a bust, but you know it was the punctuation on my Dad's death that I needed and that's what I really think held me back. But I'm going to change up my taper a bit again for next year...one thing I'm learning is that I get older, I need a LOT of volume and can handle it closer and closer to a big race. I mean, I can pretty much do a 15-hour Ironman at the drop of a hat (well, maybe not today...). Plus, I had such a shitty winter last year, I'm really looking forward to giving the winter absolute fucking hell this time.

I'm enjoying my rest, but I don't feel right, either. It's time to HTFU again. After 11 Ironmans, I can say that, well, I'm in pretty good shape for my age. I still can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing on a beautiful summer day than swimming, biking or running (or gardening--pics forthcoming!) either by myself or with good friends.

Oh--tomorrow is going to be riding on LGL--she is SOOOOOO happy to go out with me. I won't be duct-taping tunes to the bars, but I'll have plenty of company in my head as I begin to think about NothingMan. I tell ya, there's nothing like it. NOTHING! It's going to be DA BOMB!

Meanwhile, everyone HTFU and get the hell on with your life!

No comments: