Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Truth About Tapering, Part II





















Even though I only slept 7 hours yesterday, I didn't feel any worse for the wear after a little pool riding and an easy swim. But another aspect of tapering for me is to lay off the extra caffeine, i.e., none after my morning coffee. I'm not working out so much, so I shouldn't need it, and besides, it should help me sleep better.

When it was time for me to go and do my brick workout, I had two brilliant ideas--first, let's ride LGL, and second, let's just go out wearing the 2-piece swimsuit I had worn in my morning swim--the one in the photo from a sprint I did in 2006. The swimsuit was still wet and also nice and cold because it was hanging downstairs in the laundry room where it's plenty cool. When I put it on, it felt good, and made me think I was racing--I may actually wear it on Sunday.

I put on my bad ass Catlike helmet and the matching sunglasses and headed out. It was a beautiful, beautiful day--a bit humid, but just about 80 and sunny. I only needed to ride for 1:10, and was supposed to warm up for :15. I sort of blew that--my mind was just on racing!

I rode really, really well, and my legs felt stupendous! Of course I got lots of looks because I was riding around nearly naked, but I know the men don't mind--as usual, I got a number of scowls from soccer moms and assorted unhappy and/or out of shape people.

The brick run was supposed to be mostly at IM pace, but fuck that. I needed to see what I had after a hard ride in the sun. When I got home, it took me maybe 3 minutes to drop the bike and get ready to run. I decided not to take any fluids with me to simulate racing on Sunday, although I did down 1/2 bottle of ice water, which was awesome.

And I took off running. It was fucking hot, and I have to run uphill right out of my house. But too fucking bad. I was in the mode. I didn't want to look at my watch until I hit 1 mile out. I could tell I rode plenty hard by the way my legs felt, and I wasn't really smiling--more like grimacing, but inside I was feeling really happy that apparently I still have some speed in me, or so I thought.

Mile 1 was hit in 8:24. That's about my 5K pace in a sprint, so it was good, and it was, did I say fucking hot? I did stop at the water fountain after about 2 miles, because I had to have something. I thought to myself why am I busting it out like this when I've got a race on Sunday? Why? Because I can. Because it felt good even though it hurt. And I kept up that pace for 3.5 miles, just under :30. Perfect!

Later on in the day, I felt like I had raced, but not too bad. I ate some starch right after I finished and then had another salad for dinner. This morning I woke up after a blissful 8 hours of sleep, and I am FUCKING RARING TO GO!!!! It's going to be another great day, and I guess my taper is working out great so far!

3 comments:

Kim said...

your taper kicks fucking ass! can i get me some of that?

Crackhead said...

It must be because I started my Twinkie taper 2 weeks ago...god I miss them...well, I can start back up on them in what, 3 weeks???

Michelle said...

A cracktastic post!! You are ON FIRE!