Thursday, July 09, 2009

What is Going On?



Somehow I ended up training almost 4 hours today--a 4800 meter swim, riding to/from the outdoor pool (it was glorious this morning), and then a 1:34 run. And I'm tired. Almost 12 hours of training since Monday. Tomorrow maybe a short little recovery swim and some biking. Decide whether I'm going to do the 2-mile open water swim race Saturday, some more riding, get ready for Sunday's last 100 mile ride before IMLP.

I am planning out 2010 already, and thinking about planning my training for ROTPM (Revenge of the PirateMan), although what I had scheduled for IMC should do just fine there. And then I need to plan how the hell to train for a 50-mile foot race in 2 months. After that, training for Goofy Challenge will be a no brainer--I've done that before.

But then how do I train for ultracycling and ultraswimming and ultrarunning at the same time? I have no fucking clue. But I am going to figure it out, through books, friends and maybe a coach.

Yes, I'm certifiably nuts. But the way I figure it, I might not want to do this in say, 3 years, and I may not be able to. The time is NOW.

Some people on Facebook asked how/why I have become faster all of a sudden in terms of top-end speed running and also my FTP has gone up. I dunno--maybe because I quit watching TV altogether and sleeping a little more. Maybe because I'm a little smaller than a year ago. Maybe, just maybe (ya fucking think???) because I've been training at a high level for 9 years straight? I dunno. Maybe the worst shit of my life is finally behind me. At least this stage. Sucks that I started this nonsense a few years after getting divorced, then was just getting into shape then boom, boom, boom crapola piles on. Maybe my tolerance for that shit has finally decreased and I am just not going to acknowledge it anymore.

Maybe it sounds like the fun has gone out of this for me, but it hasn't. I guess I'm a little weird in that FUN=WORK. And work leads to greater fun in my book. SAME=BORING. MORE=MORE FUN.

Sure I want to do well at IMLP, but I can already see past it, and where the last 9 years have been leading me. Onward, upward, forward. As long as I can manage it!

No comments: