Thursday, January 28, 2010

Need to get More Regular Here

If you read my last post, you probably figured out that I'm on a pretty tight schedule during the weekdays. And then on the weekends, even though I'm not doing really long workouts yet, my "spare" time gets filled with errands and stuff that some people manage to get done on weekdays, but not me.

I came across the blog of a woman who did Ultraman Canada in 2009. I think I have read it cover to cover, and it both validated some of the thoughts and experiences I've had to date, and it also scared the shit out of me! It sounds like she trained a whole ton, and I have decided that all I can do is do as much as I can while recovering and staying employed and not having my life fall apart!

Well let me step back. I am doing enough swimming, although I would like to do more, but I have to allocate my time and as long as I'm getting more than 10,000 yards per week, I think that's the best I can do.

Ideally, I'd be running 40-50 miles per week every week, but that means for me 6+ hours of running a week, which I can do, but then I also have to bike (see where I'm going with this?).

My experience with Ironman training is that I can manage the 5-hour run weeks with about 12 hours of biking and 4-5 hours swimming for only 6-8 weeks at a time. So I have to play with the mix.

I did decide one thing today, which is that I will start to add some fast walking/hiking weekly, and it's just going to be whenever I can, and of course, as it warms up I will do more. This helped me a ton training for North Face, so I figure it can't hurt, as long as I don't consider it as a replacement for any planned training--it will just be "extra," much like my Monday and Wednesday pre-swim core festivals are "extra."

I saw someone jumping rope at the Y the other day and I wished I had time to do some of that, too. Thing is, if I didn't have a job, I'd be happy as a clam training like 4+ hours a day (with a nap in there). Swim some, bike some, run some, do some weights, skip, jump rope, whatever. When I'm at the Y and I see all the different types of equipment, I want to try it all out!

I laughed the other day because while I was running, my bra top was just digging into my rib cage, so when I got home, I pulled out a tape measure and measured my chest, and sure enough, it's an inch bigger than my biggest over the last 5 years. So then I thought, what the hell, put on a bra (I wear them VERY infrequently--no boobs--why would I?), and it was hysterical because while, of course, my actual boobs haven't gotten any bigger, I could tell the underlying pecs did. Yippee for lots of pushups and yards of swimming! I think also my traps have become bigger, which is why my newer swimsuits don't fit right anymore--oh well!

Sometimes I think maybe I have become too lean for my own good, but it's not like I'm trying to be so lean--it just happens. I only have so much time for eating, and I'm so used to eating just a little at each meal that maybe I should try harder. I don't think I've lost any muscle mass and I might just go and get a DEXA scan to see where I am for the hell of it.

This Sunday I get to do an indoor sprint triathlon, and that should be fun. I might suck because I am not lessening my training any to do it, but that's OK by me. It will be a nice little speed session, and I get food and a massage afterwards!

Also, Sunday marks exactly 6 months to race day. Fucking Yikes!!! On the bright side, only 6 more months of living like a freaking monk, and that is something I can stomach. Kind of like studying for a big test. Only the test is 3 days long. And I don't have a full crew.

Even though it seems that every other day I am experiencing some inner turmoil about what I am doing, I have made smiling around others a priority. People who know what's up and care to ask me how I'm doing are great, and I'm talking mostly about people at my Y, since I'm there every day sometimes twice. Apparently I'm a hot topic, as someone I hadn't seen in months knew what I was up to through the grapevine. It made me wonder how many people that belong to YMCA's in the US have done an Ultraman...my guess is not very many! And in one conversation I realized why I get some of the reactions I do. I mean how many people do YOU personally know who are doing or who have done Ultraman or beyond? It's not very common. Kind of like saying you are going to climb Mt. Everest or K2. Speaking of which, last week in a work meeting (over the phone), we played "two truths and a lie." My truths were that I have a collection of Barbie dolls and that I have 4 bikes with one on the way. My lie was that I was planning to climb Everest in 2 years. I stumped most of my colleagues! Most of them thought the Barbie collection was the lie! And just so you know, I have no intention of climbing mountains, although I have read several books by climbers (I need to refresh my stock) and understand why they do it. I could see myself moving to the mountains somewhere--Colorado or Kona--because they are very spiritual to me.

Normally this time of year I would be lusting over catalogs of flowers and other things I would like to plant come spring, but I am going to have to let that go this year because I just won't have time for additional planting. Actually I slacked last spring, too, I guess because I ended up training a little more than I had in the past. I will probably cave on some annuals, though, while doing my grocery shopping. I think I can manage a couple of hanging baskets and some planters on the patio.

I no longer subscribe to any triathlon magazines, although if I run across them at a store, I might pick one up. Not like you are going to find "tips on training for Ultraman" in there, anyway! I have almost finished the stack of books I got back in October, so it will be time to hit amazon.com, only different subject matter. Instead of escape, I will be looking for books about people completing physical challenges--maybe some mountain climbing, that sort of thing.

Well I spent too long on this post already because I need to get back to work and get in one more workout (finish my strength training for the week) before I can go and crack a beer, stretch, organize dinner, fix bottles for my big swim tomorrow, load the coffeepot, pack my swimbag, set the alarm, eat dinner, relax a little and then lights out!

2 comments:

Andy said...

That's pretty cool that you found someone online that has done an Ultraman to see what she did or how the race went etc...

I think it is great that you have this little following at the "Y". You are able to project your story to other people and I am sure they eat that stuff up. Sounds like you have come up with a good strategy to get some extra training in without it adding too much more stress to your weekly volume. I still love how your evening wind-down involves beer. Priceless. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Concern over what bulb to plant in your yard? Dude, I thought you were hardcore? When I go jogging past your place next summer, I expect it to look unrecognizable, akin to those lovely neighbors you had from a few years ago.....you’re AWESOME...Keep freaking me out.