Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Just Finished Ultraman, and the Blog is Public!!!

Hey all you strangers and stalkers out there.

I have decided that it's time for my blog to once again be public (and it will be automagically replicated to Facebook).

In case you weren't paying attention, I just completed Ultraman Canada. Yes, an official finisher!!!

I keep getting tears in my eyes thinking about what just happened and what it all means, and I have a book to write about all of it--the race itself, my preparations, what I did well, what I could do better.

On the plane from Vancouver back to Chicago today, I opened my official course map book that was prepared by one of my crew members, Richard Nelson. While I can't usually remember mile-by-mile events during a one day race let alone a 3 dayer, I began capturing whatever I can, and will continue to do that and get it organized and begin writing here again.

But let me begin with the end (a la Stephen Covey). This is what I wrote to describe how I felt (but didn't speak aloud to my pacer, Lee Utsumi) when I was about 10km from the finish line on Day 3 (84km/52.4 mile run), knowing that I would finish:

I am, despite the pain in my feet and legs, having the time of my life! All I can feel is gratitude--for the beautiful weather and scenery, a patient and loving crew (Lee Utsumi, Richard Nelson and Mona Albano on the land; and Steve Soper in the kayak) who took such great care of me for 3+ days even when I didn't know what I wanted or needed and might not have been smiling, the other crews and athletes who would cheer for me and lift my spirits (including one crew playing "Oh Sheila" on their car stereo especially for me, and Gary Wang the athlete who was unable to run on Day 3 coming by with Red Bull and Rice Krispie treats), remembering all the people who told me during my training that I COULD and WOULD finish this (especially Nick Mallett) even when I doubted my training or mental strength.

I feel wonderful! Full of wonder! I am wondering why I had doubted myself, wondering where I am going and what I will do when I get there; wondering what drove me here but discovering that it was to know and honor myself, and by doing so, maybe, just maybe I can help others to know and honor themselves and some day experience the pure bliss of having a body that can do amazing things but not really needing it except as a vehicle to become the person I am meant to be.


Stay tuned for more reports...

2 comments:

Trevor Oseen said...

Just as I expected your outcome to be. Fantastic work and too bad I could not have been there to see the achievement as normally it is only a short ways away.

IronSnoopy said...

YAY! Mad claps and whistles! Never once doubted that you'd finish. :-)

Congratulations, and I will raise my next real beer glass to toast you virtually.

And I'm glad your blog is public again. It's damn near impossible to stalk you solely by Facebook. ;-)