Monday, September 30, 2013

Fuck this Shit, I'm Training!

OK so back to Tuesday.  I felt a bit better than on Monday, well enough to try working out or else I would go out of my mind.  I managed :35 on elliptical trainer (in lieu of running which I didn't think my lungs would support), and then I hopped on a Cybex stationary bike for 1:15.  I was able to push it on the bike, and I even paid attention to my heart rate, which was reasonable.

Wednesday morning I felt like I could swim, and it DID feel really good.  I managed 3500 yards, including 2400 with paddles and pull buoy (yes, my shoulders are really strong--when I was training for Ultraman, I'd sometimes do paddles/pull buoy for up to 4,000 yards at a pop).  It was a gorgeous early fall day, and at 12:30 I headed outdoors to give running a try.  Since I didn't know how hard I could push it or for how long, I decided to run "block repeats," which is around this big block from home that is 1.15 miles around.  That way, too, I didn't need to carry any fluids with me.  I managed 5 times around at 9:34 pace, slow I know, but I was OK with it as I was still fairly sick.  Plus, no reason to push the pace until I knew the virus had cleared.

Thursday is long run day, and the plan was for 2:10 with some 1/2 marathon and 10k pace intervals.  I knew I couldn't do the interval work, and I had no idea if I could complete the time either running or some combination of running/elliptical/Arc Trainer.  The Arc Trainer is a Cybex machine that is fucking awesome and much better than any elliptical.  I used it to train for the stair climb I did in February, and now I consider it a fine substitute for running.  It doesn't have the same impact forces as running, but if you LEVEL THE FUCK UP like I do, you get a seriously hard workout, especially your quads!  It's funny to me now that I can go so much harder on that machine now than I could back in February!

Anyway, once again since it was nice out, I thought I'd start with some block repeats, just to see what I could do there.  Apparently, working out the prior 2 days had introduced some unanticipated fatigue considering I still wasn't well.  I did 2 repeats at about 10:15 pace, which was fast enough given my physical state, but then felt like I was dragging ass, so I switched to run 1 minute/walk 1 minute, because I didn't want to dig myself into a deep hole.  I know you are laughing at me--how could I even think about running 2 hours when my voice was gone, I was having regular coughing fits and even a little bit of dizziness?  Because I'm Crackhead, that's why!

I ended up getting in 7 miles outside, and then I decided to do another hour on the Arc Trainer at the Y.  So I pretty much got in enough running/AT to cover my long run and then some.

Friday morning I was feeling better--more energy, still with the cough, though.  Fuck it, I'm swimming.  I knocked out 4200 and felt great doing it!   Around noon, I headed outdoors on yet another glorious early fall day to run.  I was a bit perturbed with myself that I could still only manage 9:15/mile, but I need to give it time, I will be back soon enough. But at least this was a full-out run!  It was during this run that I'd worn a bra top I'd acquired recently that happened to match the shorts in this pic:
Actually it's this bra in the color "busy red."  It matches those shorts perfectly.  It comes with slight padding, which I don't really want, but whatever.  So it was rather warm on Friday, and I am 1.5 miles from home, and I'm HOT and I stop and remember there are pads in my top!  So I took them out (they came out through roughly the side of the top), commenced running, and flung them in the next garbage can!  I was laughing my ass off, as I often do, at how comical this seemed to me at the time.

Saturday the plan was a 4:30 ride and :40 brick run.  I wanted to get an early start so that I would have time to nap or just lay down in advance of a party my friend Mark was having.  It was cold outside (for riding), only low 50's, and what with my cold and still needing to take hits from an inhaler and occasional cough syrup, I thought I'd be better off on the trainer.  I started at 5:15, and did 1/2 hour pretty easy, although my legs felt really great!  It had been 2 weeks since I'd been on Skull Kingdom, so I was really happy to ride her again!  I had tunes blasting, maybe waking up my neighbors, but they are used to me being up in the dark.

1/2 hour in and it's time to start intervals.  I figured I won't know whether I can do them until I try, and I was happy that I could manage them--3x(20' @ 85%, 10' @ FT, 3' @ 105-110%, 7' Easy).  HELL FUCKING YEAH!  All the while I'm drinking Infinit and blowing my nose like it's going out of style.  Well it did warm up, but I saw no reason to make the transition to outside, as I was quite comfortably ensconced on the trainer, and besides, there are a handful more of long rides coming up where I will be on the trainer, and besides, I've done this before, it doesn't bother me.  I ended up at 105 miles!!!

I quickly checked the weather and it was now 60's meaning I didn't need to wear much to run outside.  I grabbed a 12-oz. bottle of Cheaterade after slugging a big glass of water and headed outside.  I ran super easy, which is how I'm supposed to run off such a long ride, and I didn't feel bad at all, most likely because for once I was running how I should run in an Ironman.  I ended up really enjoying myself, and my pace for 4.2 miles was 9:44.  What the fuck, if I could do that in Ironman, I'd be...I'd be...qualifying for Kona.  Here I am when I finished running, I am pretty happy with myself considering I was still a bit under the weather:



I felt pretty good after all this for a bit, but then the tiredness set in.  After a shower and food, I got in bed.  I don't think I ever actually fell asleep, but it felt good to lay down.  After about an hour, I got up, cracked a Coke and stretched (funny usually it's a beer but I didn't want any until the party later), got my shit together, and headed to my friend's party. I was going to try and avoid wearing any compression, but man my legs were feeling it and I wanted to wear full on compression tights, but I settled with just compression socks (HOT PINK!) and "regular" clothes.

Not sure I can remember everything I ate that night, but I know there was brisket, pulled pork (my favorite), ribs (also my favorite), cupcakes (also my favorite), random raw veggies, chili (also my favorite).  I think I had 3 or 4 beers, but they kept getting warm and/or I lost them so I would just crack open another one.  Then someone brought jello shots and I think I had 3 or 4 of those, but they weren't that strong.  I had a ton of fun with Mark and his friends, well I should say the ones that weren't put off by me.  There were a few women there who just could not get on board with me being so athletic, even though I didn't say ANYTHING to them about what I do--either they know from Mark, or else it's true like his sister, Laura, told me--IT'S THAT OBVIOUS from how I look.  OK, so maybe the compression socks gave it away, but other than that, I think I look like a normal person in normal clothes?  Maybe not.  Toward the end of the party, someone told me I have "Michelle Obama's arms," and I was like WTF???  I HAVE HAD THESE ARMS WELL BEFORE SHE DID JACK SHIT PEOPLE.  I did get a bit upset by that, but on the other hand, kudos to Mrs. Obama for looking a little like a Crackhead!  My arms are better than hers anyway.  TAKE THAT PRESIDENTIAL FIRST LADY BITCH!!!

So I managed to extricate myself from the party just before 10PM, lest I hang out and try and keep up with Mark's drinking, which would be no contest--I would pass out well before he was even on his way to major buzz.  I fell asleep blissfully, thinking I might not have too much of a hangover the next morning.

I slept until 5AM, which is rare for me lately, and I felt pretty good when I woke up.  Not particularly hungry, meaning I must have chowed down enough at the party.  I wanted to ride outside, and the plan was for a 2:30 ride / :40 brick run.  Same interval work on the bike.  It was cold again, and I had time to wait until it warmed up, but it really wasn't happening too fast.  So I putzed around the house, cleaning, organizing (it's a never ending process when I'm in heavy training), and finally around 9:30 I decided it wasn't getting any warmer anytime soon, so I may as well suit up and head outside.

Here I am pre-ride with my hangover face


I am sporting my new neon helmet, which cost all of $49.99!  Isn't it cute?  It's actually an MTB helmet, but I ripped off the visor.  Now I need neon sunglasses--I'd like hot pink.  I'm wearing my lucky Jordan Rapp jersey, I LOVE that thing, and I busted out a new pair of Castelli toe warmers.  It really does pay to have good gear.  Skull Kingdom was so happy to get outside!  At first, my legs were a little crunchy, but then after 1/2 hour warmup, HERE COME THE WATTS!  I was enjoying hills, just a little wind, more hills, and LOTS OF WATTS!  I was about :20 from home and being done when I thought my front brake was rubbing, looked down, and the tire was flat.  I pulled over onto the sidewalk, took the wheel off and inspected the tire and found either a tiny piece of glass or else a really sharp rock shard in the tire and knew that was what did it.  I changed the tire leisurely, needing to remove the jersey because I was now in the sun!  I had one offer from a woman to help out, but I was fine, and then as soon as I put the wheel with new tube back on, a guy rode by who works at a bike shop offering to help.  I told him, nope, I'm done, all good, and tested the wheel spin, and it was off and rubbing, but it wasn't the brake.  I was like, fuck, is the rim bent?  I took the wheel off again, and then slammed the fork down onto it.  I forgot my front fork can be truculent in how it sits on the skewer, and that was the problem.  PHEW!!!  I rode home and was excited to see how I could run, if at all.

By the way, before I'd started riding, I noticed I was able to take in a deep breath, and I was so happy for that!  But while I was riding, I was Queen Snotula, OMG you should have seen the snot ribbons coming out of my nose!  It was pretty gross a couple of times when I'd stop to blow it out and it would just hang off my nose maybe 8" worth!  But I was glad all that snot was coming out of me because it meant my system was clearing the virus.  And about 4 miles from home, I started singing with my tunes!  My voice has been so fucked up and/or gone, I was like shit, I can sing again!  Happy day!

So I get home, put Skull Kingdom in the house, drink some water, pee, change into running clothes, grab a 12-oz. bottle of Cheaterade, and decide to run the same route as the day before.  Only today, I am running faster!  Yip-fucking-ee!  I didn't feel at all bad.  When I was on 63rd street, the song YMCA was on my iPod (part of a mixed CD of Motown stuff and related), and I was so happy I began doing the arm signals while I was running!  I even stopped once or twice and did it for the passing traffic, I was laughing so much!  I am sure people think I'm batshit crazy, but I don't care.  They WISH they could be in as good a condition as me and be able to run and dance and sing all at the same time!  I knew I was ahead of pace from the day before, and when all was said and done, I'd run 9:18/mile, not bad considering I'm coming off a virus and training like a beast.

Here I am once again pretty pleased with myself and feeling awesome:


When all is said and done, I got in almost 39 miles of running (or its equivalent--I have a "fair" conversion algorithm for Arc Trainer, etc.) last week WHILE SICK!  Right now, I feel nearly 100%--the cough is all but gone, there's still some mucus coming out my nose but nothing bad.

This week is a REST WEEK, which means a rest from running--there will be some serious amounts of biking (9.5 hours planned) and swimming, though.  Today I am taking the day off from work and I'm going to go see the Snake and the Mongoose movie.  I'm really looking forward to it!  I'm going with my friend, Carol, from down the street.  No running or biking until Wednesday, which means my legs get complete rest unless I decide to lift today and/or tomorrow, which is a distinct possibility, although I think I will lay off the leg work until tomorrow.  My right ankle is nearly healed, and I continue to work on various physical therapy modalities for my right ass (combo of sciatica, I'm sure, plus the ankle fucked it up plus I've pulled that right hamstring at least 3 times so it's always a bit vulnerable).  So things are coming around for me, and I can't wait to see how I feel by the end of this week!  I should be good as new, which means I'm ready for my final IMCOZ push. 

THE RACE IS ONLY NINE WEEKS AWAY.  I AM SERIOUSLY FUCKED!!!

Nope, I'm Crackhead, I've done all this before.  The plan for the next 7 weeks is, of course:
--Harder, longer, faster, tougher--REPEAT

No comments: