Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sick Bike Workout, Workout Levels and Good Stuff

This is the sick bike workout that I did yesterday:
WU: 10' warmup, 3 x SpinUps. Then 3 x 2' (1') Zone 3
MS: FT repeats: 2 x 20' (8' @ 65-70%) @ 95-100%, 2' CD, 1 x 8' @ 105%.
CD: 5' Easy

It was what I call "challenging." I have an internal scale that describes how I think about my workouts. The scale goes like this:

  • Wimp: The workout is so easy, I'm not sure I'm working out. Example: Ride easy 2 hours.
  • Easy: I feel like I'm working out, but there is no stress. Example: Run easy Z1-Z2 60'.
  • Challenging: The workout has some aspects that force me to focus for various periods of time at moderate to high intensity. Example: pick any of my weekday bike workouts, also my long runs for the past 7 weeks (and about 6 weeks leading up to Goofy Challenge), a sprint race.
  • Hard: The workout is not only challenging, but because of the amount of intensity or sheer time involved, I know that I need to be extra careful to take in sufficient calories, fluids, and really be sure I do everything right to recover for it and be ready to go again the next day. Example: the long ride plus brick run I did last Saturday (repeat this Saturday), Horribly Hilly Hundreds 200K ride, a HIM or IM race.

There are levels within Hard, like hard, very hard and fucking hard, but I don't dwell on those. I prefer the bulk of my workouts to be Challenging. Challenging is good. It is never boring. It lets me see if I can push the envelope a little bit. Hard once or twice a week is good. Easy once or twice a week is good. Wimp is not something I like to do very often, and in fact I don't, maybe during a taper.

I used to only do 1 or 2 Challenging days per week. Now I have them 4 out of 7 days, plus 1 Hard and the other 2 are easy. But I guess it's a matter of perspective. Stuff that I consider Challenging now I used to consider Hard.

In other news, I did 2 workouts this AM since I'm leaving on a business trip. There were 2 peeps on adjacent treadmills while I was running (after I swam) trying to guess my bodyfat %. They both think I'm below 10%. The guy says I'm ripped. Then he asks me when is my next race. I tell him in about a week. He asks me what is my weakest sport. I told him I'm pretty good across the board for my age group. He asks me what is my age group. I tell him 45-49, that I'm 49 going on 50 this fall. He looks at me incredulously, and tells me I am "quite a specimen." I'm pretty sure I smiled back, and if I blushed, you wouldn't be able to tell because I was running tempo at the time. Both of these peeps are very fit. I appreciate a compliment much more from people like that. Good way to start the day!

6 comments:

Comm's said...

high praise indeed. When you get a compliment in the gym, coming from the right source, it is definitely high praise.

Steven said...

Very cool. Sounds like an excellent way to start any day.

Cliff said...

Impressive. Did they get what your age was??

jaretj said...

I'm so far behind on the bike right now, I need to take your attitude.

Crackhead said...

Cliff--yes, they got my age and still didn't believe it.

Jaret--buck up and get rolling! But get your calf thing worked out! I notice my soleus really get jacked up after my bike sessions, so every morning when I do my stretching, I check them out and work on them. Once you learn where your recurrent trigger points are, you can go after them proactively. All part of the daily care and feeding of us hard-charging triathletes!

Carrie said...

Here's a blogging first for me...the Synthetic Humanoid Engineered for Infiltration and Logical Assassination was in my dream last night. Blogs are taking over my life. Oh no, has the assimilation begun?