Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Maintaining Your Body

My second article for trifuel.com is here: http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/endurance-files/maintaining-your-machine-001272.php

I hope you can find something in it that you can use to enhance your training!

On a health note, I am quite ill with a virus that I've had since last Friday. It is mostly a dry cough, and I have been resting and resting, and I think I've gone through 2 cans of chicken soup a day! I'm feeling marginally better today, but am not sure whether I will be going to California on Thursday or not. Since Ralph's is not an A race for me, there is no reason for me to subject my body to more airplane travel and a race when my business right now is getting healthy again. I am no Lisa Bentley or Chris Legh, who keep going even in the face of obvious health problems. To me that is not a heroic effort--it's pure stupidity.

I want to live (healthily) to race another day, and so until further notice, I'm not training! I know that I will be stronger for the enforced rest, and that I am doing the right thing for myself right now.

6 comments:

Cliff said...

That's a very detail article. Get well soon.

Born To Endure said...

Oh Sheila!!! I'm hoping you are well enough to go...but...you have to do what's best for your body even though it's a tough decision to make, it is a wise one!! I'm hoping you make a speedy recovery in time...but ya know..i've been reading how the water is like 50 something degrees out there and they've been having some winter like conditions..brrrrrr that's freaking cold..:-)) Besides, if you don't go, just think how badly you're going to kick all of our collective asses out in SC.

Comm's said...

bravo for your mental toughness.

Anonymous said...

Great article.

I hope you recover quickly and make it out for Ralph's.

I'll be there as a spectator.

Steven said...

Good call, Sheila.
I'm glad to see you are not so obessed that you would risk your health for a race.
You will come back stronger from a nice rest. Enjoy it.

jaretj said...

Get better soon!!! See a doctor if you have to. I put it off 5 days when I was sick and paid for it with lost training time.