Tuesday, April 17, 2007

LGL and I Rode Outside Today!!!!!

I still have the hugest shit-faced grin on my face. I only rode for 1:40 (planned 1:30), but I wanted to ride for 4 hours.

Here's how it went down:

I loaded up one bottle of lemonade flavored Gatorade in a suitable (until I get an "official" Pinarello one) bottle. I chose my outfit: black/white/red Horribly Hilly Hundreds jersey and red tri shorts (sorry, roadies, I have a lot of those and they fit me well), low cut socks, silver Rudy Project sunglasses. I suited up and got ready to go.

Temperature: 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Winds 10-15MPH, gusting to 25. Perfect Tuesday interval weather!

I was a bit anxious what with the new pedals and all, so first I rode down my street to a stop sign just to try out the old brake and unclip on the right side. Seemed fine! Did a U-turn, and while doing it I am already starting to think, "OMG, OMG, OMG!"

The bike weighs NOTHING. It feels like an extension of my body--it flows with me. It's stiff, responsive, and did I say STIFF? The wheel hubs make a really nice sound when coasting.

This is just riding 2 blocks to the first T-intersection. I'm looking at the Ergomo and yes, WE HAVE POWER! WE HAVE LOTS OF POWER! WITHOUT MUCH EFFORT! Now I'm looking forward to some gentle hills, even though I am just warming up.

I got the hang of unclipping really quickly, although I did unclip a bit earlier than I usually would before coming to a full stop. Clipping in--I'm working on that. A few times I got in without looking, but it will take a little getting used to. No worries!

I couldn't help but keep this smile on my face as I'm getting close to my interval loop. I have never ridden a bike like this, and I kept thinking, "Is this REALLY my bike?" And then it was time for some intervals, and I was stinking happy the entire time, and I hit all my wattage targets. I was HAPPY when the wind picked up, and I was HAPPY when a stinky cloud decided to sprinkle on me. It was all good! I almost even took a spin on this side street that is, I kid you not, COBBLED. But I'll save the cobbles for another time.

The bike is a dream, and I can't wait to get her on some REAL hills. Sadly, my Bitch is going to get a bit dusty for a few weeks, but she'll have her opportunity in June and July.

I called my LBS to tell them how happy I am with this, and especially that they recommended this frame to me. It's absolutely PERFECT for me. My only concern is that a stiff crosswind will literally blow me over, the thing is so light! Tough problem to have, I think!

Here are some snippets from my thoughts during my ride today:

  • OMG, OMG, OMG, this thing is so light
  • This bike is FUCKING AWESOME
  • My bike is nicer than YOUR CAR
  • I'd rather have this bike than YOUR CAR
  • DON'T TRY AND OUTRUN ME YOU WILL LOSE!
  • I can't wait to ride in some mountains!
  • I need some roadie kits
  • I don't care what kind of funky tan I get from wearing gloves.
  • I don't know if it's possible to have sex with a bike but I think I just about did!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Stiff & responsive... sounds like heaven to me!

Crackhead said...

I think Tammy wins the award for best comment!

Have I ever said how much I like riding my bikes?

Fe-lady said...

Bike glove tan is cool! Glad you got outside and on your new pony!