Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Awesome Run

TODAY'S run was awesome...yesterday's not so much.

Last night I hit the treadmill at the Briargate YMCA in Colorado Springs. Whereas at my local Indian Boundary YMCA in Downers Grove, IL, I am probably the fittest person there, at the one here I am one of many! It was nice to look around and see so many uber-fit people. And it was humbling to need to stop and catch my breath every few minutes while trying to run a 10:00mpm pace, which I rarely do. But I knew I needed to tough it out, that it would get better as the week wore on, and today made me happy for sticking out a 1-hour run last night.

Today I got to run outside in the beautiful sunshine, accompanied by a coworker on his MTB. We went out on a trail that you access right from the office, and it goes through the Air Force Academy property at the base of the mountains. I was suprised after :15 to look at my watch and realize that I hadn't needed to stop and catch my breath. I think the breathtaking beauty around me cancelled out any physical weakness I might have!

We went out for :30 and back, and even though the out piece was more downhill, I didn't run that much more slowly on the way back in. And I got to run through rushing water--it rained like all heck yesterday, and I expected some wetness, but this was serious water. Not very deep, and it actually felt good! Also, at one point, we saw a magpie! I took this to be a good omen, and it made me wistful for LGL, who I won't be riding again until Saturday (I rode Bitchie all last week, and for the record, enjoyed it very much--she's still a solid ride, and aerodynamic as hell).

I managed the run after waking up at 4AM today (still managed a little over 7.5 hours of sleep--my body is still on CST though), stretching for :30 and then doing a :30 core workout before heading to the pool to swim. I thought I had calculated today's workout at 3,400 yards, but when I saw how long it took me to do it, I thought that can't be right. Back at the ranch, I figured it out, and I swam 3,600 yards today! And I'm doing it again tomorrow. Lungs are feeling pretty good in the water, and they felt pretty good running today, but now I seriously need some sleep. Maybe a good, heavy dinner will do the trick (copious amounts of Chinese last night were not enough to prevent me from waking up starving). We are going here: http://www.craftwood.com/ I am craving protein, so I will definitely get what I need tonight.

I continue to meet really awesome people out here--plenty of endurance freaks, to say the least--and they don't even think I'm crazy!

2 comments:

Andy said...

Once we get to this point, we all feel normal until we meet the people from "Average World" and that is when they think that we are freaks! Your running program sounds solid. I think it is great that you can head right out and be near mountains. The wildlife I get to deal with here is Atlanta Traffic.

Murtha...

3iron said...

Just checking in after being AWOL for a while.

A few runs in the big hills at high altitude should leave you totally prepped for Triple-T!