Monday, July 23, 2007

Ironman USA Days 2 and 3

Since I know you all are most interested in the pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8737154@N04/sets/72157600969457981/

The race report will take a few days. Suffice it to say, I had a great time. Not a bad finish--my 2nd fastest Ironman, and I took 7th in my age group, which I guess is not too shabby. I stood in line this morning to register for next year, and when I called my pimp, who was already on the road back to JFK Airport to fly home to California, he didn't even say hello, all he said was, "So did you sign up for next year?" Yeah, he's got me figured out all right.

Highlights of my race day: I mooned the crowd at the IGA Hill (no shit, I am not kidding) after performing a little razzle-dazzle footwork to some tuneage; I totally enjoyed riding my Bitch; Cindy and Shelley both had PR races out there, I saw Kurt running the last Penalty Tent on the bike course, and my coach harrassed...er...encouraged me throughout the marathon. How cool was it to have my coach out there? I can't even tell you. I reeled in over 60 people from Mile 17 to the finish--I stopped counting at Mile 20, so that tells you how many there had to be. The best thing was when Rich started telling me with about 2 miles to go that there would be many beers to be had when I was done. I managed to drink 4, and I gotta say, that's one of the best beer buzzes I've ever had.

I got some nice schwag (my bill was just under $500), and I've got my bike packed and in the car since I have to leave around 2:00AM to drive to the Albany airport to catch my plane home. All I have left to do is pack my clothes, score some personal time with Kurt and his wife, and it's all over. But I already have a ton of great stuff to look forward to, cuz you know, I LOVE riding my bikes, so I gotta get back in the saddle ASAP! I'm thinking I'll get a new tri bike next year--I have my eye on the Pinarello Montello. But Bitchie is just fine for now.

I suppose I'm pretty happy--I really can't complain--I didn't have the race I thought I wanted, but truthfully, there was nothing bad about it. I swam as best I could considering the cage match mentality, I biked according to plan, and I had a PR marathon for an Ironman. All good!

In the end, I absolutely fucking LOVE training, and a good race or two are nice, and I guess I've actually had several in 2007, and I'm sure 2008 will be good, too. It was great to reconnect with people I haven't seen in awhile, make new friends, and I'm excited about the new crop of Ironmen that are coming into the sport, as well as my impending coaching operation (if you're interested, let me know).

Thanks to everyone who watched me--you ROCK!

9 comments:

Kimberly Rae said...

So glad you enjoyed your time! It was exciting to see the changes as they were posted on the tracker site. Next season I hope to move up to Oly distance and then think about a 1/2 IM but I don't think I'd ever be ready to tackle this beast. But know what, its so much fun living it vicariously thru you!

Kim

Fe-lady said...

Love the photos you took...can't wait to see photos during the race (you WILL post those too I hope!)
Congrats again!

Joe B said...

Count me in the group watching. Great job.

Jamie said...

Glad the race went well! Can't wait for the RR.

How did you manage to moon the crowd? I'm assuming it wasn't on the bike??

Duane said...

Great race, you are awesome. And the sports thong, you really do it justice!

Julia said...

Great race Crackhead! I watched you throughout the day.

Cliff said...

Sheila,

Good to see you in LP.
Glad to hear you had a great race. All I think about in the end was pizza and beer. I had two sip of a Heninken and passed out..nuts.

Look forward on reading your race report.

effendi said...

Great job out there - can't wait to see the power data :D

Julie B said...

Another fine race, Sheila. I was thinking of you completing your IM as I was completing the Vermont 100. I love that you had so much fun and were doing some razzle dazzle :)