Thursday, April 10, 2008

Got my Metabolism Checked out


I found a place nearby that has Body Gem equipment and had an appointment at 7:00AM today to get measured. I was not allowed to eat anything or drink anything except water this morning. So of course, last night I had trouble sleeping because all I could think about was food! I actually did get up at 3AM and had to eat 1/2 a Power Bar because I was so hungry. I took a thermos of coffee with me so that as soon as the test was done I could drink a cup.

I had this done 3 years ago, and my numbers haven't changed much, allegedly. Which is a good thing, because it's easy for one's metabolism to slow down as the years pass due to decreased activity and/or decreased lean mass. I think I'm actually training harder than 3 years ago, and while I haven't had my body fat measured in awhile, I'm pretty sure I'm retaining my lean mass.

So what is the number? My RMR is 1400. That means that if I sleep all day, that's how many calories I burn. So obviously, you bump that up for daily living activities like, oh, working, preparing food, etc. That stuff, which I believe was underestimated, gives me an additional 300 calories per day. Then, based on my age and what I reported for the intensity of workouts I do and the volume, I am able to add another 500 calories per hour for whatever exercise, be it swimming, biking, running or strength, that I do.

Now, all this is computed in some software, and it's still just a guess. I think that the RMR is probably right, but I think that my daily activities give me about another 500 calories, so I'm going with 1900 for my BMR. During the week I'm doing about 2 hours of training a day, which means on weekdays I should be at about 2900 calories per day, which feels about right.

At any rate, the guy who owns the place where I had the measurement done and I had a long discussion about me and what he knows and what I know and how I want to get into the health/fitness profession that was quite interesting. Thing is, even with those estimates, they can be wrong or off by a few hundred calories due to many different factors.

So what am I going to do with this information? One thing I decided is that I need to take in some protein after my morning swims. I always have some carbs, but I don't do the Endurox R4 until after my second workout of the day. But apparently, the swimming gets me revved up, and so I should give myself some protein to stop any catabolism. I think it's time for me to supplement with some string cheese, which will give me a nice little hit of protein and some fat post-swim.

I know that some of my metabolic fire is stress driven, too, and then I suppose doing a bunch of races is adding to the mix. It's all good. As long as I don't drop any more weight (I was at 108 this morning, which is not good--110 needs to be my absolute floor), I should be good to go.

Side note: the pic is me in this Desoto tri outfit I just got. I don't know--should I return it? The top is fine but the bottom is barely there. I suppose it's good enough to swim in. Hard to believe I have any modesty, but I don't want to look like an idiot. I know I wouldn't wear this just riding around--too risque. I have never liked my legs, but maybe with a tan, it won't look too bad. Comments are welcome!

8 comments:

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

I'd kill for those abs!

Born To Endure said...

GIRL..keep the outfit honestly, you have a fabulous body..show it off..that outfit looks fantastic on you!!!!!!

Crackhead said...

Awww...you ladies are so sweet...I'm not worried about my abs...but I sorta feel like a whore in the outfit. Oh well...if the pink outfit fits...

momo said...

they stole my comment! the first thing i thought was that i want your abs too!! ;-)

Mark said...

That outfit looks hawt, but yeah....pretty skimpy! All depends how many other women you want to piss off, I guess :P

Crackhead said...

Yeah--why is it that it's the WOMENS who glare at me when I'm dressed like this? Jealous beeyotches...

I'm keeping it. Not sure where I'll wear it, but for sure at a sprint I'm doing in July. I'd wear it for the Triple T sprint except that water is like slime.

Kimberly Rae said...

Girl I'd keep it if I were you and fit in it like that! Now biking in it, might be rubbing some sore spots in areas you'd rather not, but for swimming/running - go for it!

Jamie said...

I guess you've already made your decision, but I think you made a good choice.

I'm not sure how comfortable those shorts would be on the bike, so maybe just keep them form swim/run workouts, but it is hawt.
Rock it hard.
Forget what all the bitches say.