Sunday, June 01, 2008

Today's Ride










Yeah, so I did this ride today. 102 miles by myself in 5:33. Not bad for a day's work 1 week after Triple T. It was flat to rolling, with most of the rolling in the last 15 miles. GORGEOUS day! There were several times when I wanted to slack, but I wore my HTFU bracelet so that's what I did. The time includes several bottle fumbling events, since I was testing out my Hydro Tail on a big ride.

What's significant about this?
  1. I know I can go faster.
  2. I rode this tired.
  3. My IF was .733 and TSS 299 (NP=136) which is PERFECT for an Ironman ride
  4. I don't feel too trashed, other than the fact that I still trained GO HARD OR GO HOME style this week just following Triple T
  5. It was my SECOND RIDE on Bitch this year!!!
I think my CdA is down. My new rear bottle position helps as does the fact that I'm a bit smaller and leaner. My next move is to get S-bend aerobars. Despite this being only my 2nd ride on Bitch, I was very comfortable in my aero position (except for my poor crotch, but it's coming around). I've noticed in just the last month that I can almost put my palms on the floor when I do a forward bend (i.e., touch your toes). I find it amazing that I've become more flexible in the past year. I'm not stretching any more than I used to--I'm just being consistent about it, now for 3 years, I think.

I LOVE my Bitch. The Nokon cables are just fucking cool. All's I need now is about 5 more 100+ mile rides (which I'll easily get in) before IMLP and I'm fucking all set to go.

I tell ya, riding a road bike makes you strong. And stretching is good for holding a fairly aggressive aero position, which I do. And new bike parts can never hurt.

I made up some new rules today:
  1. Beers that you drink after riding but before you shower don't count.
  2. Doing a supported ride in a skinsuit is more gay than wearing an aero helmet (I didn't wear mine today because I feared being ridiculed, but I wore it yesterday for a puny 2:40 ride to test it out and it FUCKING ROCKS)
  3. Riding a $4,000+ tri bike at 15MPH is very wrong.
  4. Tube socks aren't too stylish on a bike. Almost as bad as compression socks on the run! (except for Jamie, who can get away with tube socks any time)
  5. If you can't control your appetite while on a supported ride, how the hell do you think you are going to lose weight training for an Ironman? My God, I saw people putting on the feed bag today, and many of them weren't riding 100 miles.
Edit: I just mowed my lawn and ended up hypoglycemic, so I ran...er...stumbled into the house and stuffed my face with some orange slices and am waiting for them to take effect. I LOVE when this happens!

6 comments:

Tri-ing Rose said...

Good job on your bike ride today and on Triple T last weekend. I love reading your blog and really admire your determination. It always inspires me to work harder in my own workouts :)

Kimberly Rae said...

You'd think folks do those supported rides JUST for the food -its as annoying as going to Sam's or Costco on a Saturday and you can't get thru a freaking isle cause the fat asses have to sample every last thing! Not that I'm any skinny ass but for gosh sakes people its not your feeding trough.

Crackhead said...

Thanks, SR!

One of the thoughts I had today while riding was, "I just want to train and be fit and race sometimes." That's all I seem to need to be happy. I think that when you know what really makes you happy and you honor it, that all sorts of other wonderful things come to you. As long as what makes you happy is not harmful to you or others, you should do it no matter what anyone thinks. I regularly get the question, "Do you have a job?" Of course I do! And I do it well. But I'm passionate about triathlon and training, so that is what many people see, and this blog is mostly just a reflection of that.

It's good to be happy and passionate and to know yourself and live without regrets. If by demonstrating my own happiness and passion I can give back to others, then it's awesome!

Mark said...

Nice job on the ride! I managed 3 hours and 50 mins this week, but I was in serious need of a recovery week, unlike you...obviously!

Tri-ing Rose said...

I'm glad you found something you are passionate about doing. Triathlon is a great sport. I can definatly tell you love doing triathlon and am really amazed at that 200 mile bike ride you are planning :)

Oly said...

Suck my wheel? Whatever! Nice ride. Love the rules too.