Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Mystery of Coke Solved










So as you know, from time to time I drink Coke. Not as an accompaniment to a meal or as a refreshing beverage, but as a training aid. Sugar and caffeine! Before workouts (as pictured above--I'm about to head out for a brick) or during workouts. Even though I'm not completely obsessive about counting calories (although I pretty much know what I'm taking in), I like knowing that I know what's in something before I suck it down (so yes, in fact I do suck at times).

So last week I decided to get the straight dope:

Sent: 8/14/2008 02:12:59 PM

To: coca-cola.support@na.ko.com

Subject: Coca-Cola Web Form

Hi. First of all, I love Coke Classic. I'm a triathlete, and I drink

Coke during my long runs and on many training runs and rides. It used

to be served at most Ironman races, but now they are cheesey and use

some generic cola from Sam's club--I bring my own real Coke.

My question is this: a 12-oz. can shows 140 calories and 39 grams of

carbs. Carbs have 4 calories each, so if you go by the grams, you'd

have 156 calories, which is a not insignificant difference from 140.

I know the calories must be pure sugar--there are no other ingredients

that have caloric value.

So which is it? 140 or 156? It does make a difference to someone like

me who tries to carefully manage my calorie intake during endurance

training and racing!

Thank you.

And I got this response:



Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company, Ms. (Crackhead). We

appreciate the opportunity to respond.

When one has a single, pure source of carbohydrates such as HFCS, for

which you know the exact Caloric value (3.66), the FDA allows the use

of

the exact value instead of the standard value of 4 (and it is even

more correct to do so). Thus, 39 grams of carbohydrates x 3.66

Cal/gram =

142 Calories which is then rounded to 140 per FDA NLEA guidelines.

Additionally, the U.S. Food and Drug Administraiton (FDA) and the

National Labeling and Education act (NLEA) require that packages with

less

than 16 ounces (i.e., a 12-ounce can) list the serving size as the

entire contents of the container (12 ounces). However, packages

containing

16 ounces or greater of product (i.e. a 16 ounce bottle or a 2 liter

bottle) are required to list the serving size as a reference amount of

8

ounces.

If you have any additional comments, please feel free to contact us

again.

I'm sure you all wanted to know this as well.

2 comments:

TriDaddy said...

I think it's awesome that they responded to you!

D said...

+1. Not only that they responded, but that they gave you the complete low down. Killer!