Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Ching Guidance


Every now and then, I consult the I Ching in the way some people look to astrology; only whereas astrology is designed to be predictive, the I Ching is used to help you look inward at your current situation. I use an online divination tool rather than tossing coins or reeds (as is called for if you do it yourself). I won't say what my question was today, but it was interesting that one of the results was Qian, or Ch'ien (English pronunciation), which has never come to me before. I have reprinted the online text for it at the end of this post, but here is part of Confucius' commentary from the I Ching that I own by Alfred Huang:

Dragon lying low, do not use.
Your energy is lying deeply low.

Dragon arising in the field.
All under Heaven is illuminated.

The superior person, all day long initiating, initiating.
He is acting, proceeding in harmony with good timing.

Probably leaping from an abyss.
The Tao of Qian is transforming.

Dragon flying in the sky.
Heavenly virtue is being bestowed on this position.

Haughty dragon, there is regret.
Completion and ending correspond with timing.

When all firms change to yielding,
The model of Heaven is perceived.

I always find truth and inspiration in the I Ching. Today it tells me I am on the right path! If you are interested in a brief introduction to the I Ching, go here.
1.   Ch'ien - The Creative

-----
----- above Ch'ien The Creative, Heaven
-----
-----
----- below Ch'ien The Creative, Heaven
-----

The Judgement

The Creative works sublime success,
Furthering through perseverance.

The Image

The movement of heaven is full of power.
Thus the superior man makes himself strong and
untiring.

The Lines

Nine at the beginning means:
Hidden dragon. Do not act.

Nine in the second place means:
Dragon appearing in the field.
It furthers one to see the great man.

Nine in the third place means:
All day long the superior man is creatively active.
At nightfall his mind is still beset with cares.
Danger. No blame.

Nine in the fourth place means:
Wavering flight over the depths.
No blame.

() Nine in the fifth place means:
Flying dragon in the heavens.
It furthers one to see the great man.

Nine at the top means:
Arrogant dragon will have cause to repent.

When all the lines are nines, it means:
There appears a flight of dragons without heads.
Good fortune.

No comments: